Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
XXX Corps

Hi guys,
I'm SURE this topic has been covered before, but, I can't find any references, so, here I am and apologies beforehand if this is old ground...

I'm planning on taking my WM20 to Normandy in June and while there, joining in with some other group activities...

I need to get a pair of XXX Corps tank badges/markings applied to the petrol tank before I go, so I have a couple of questions:-

First of all, is there anywhere (or anyone) around that I can get my hands on a pair of petrol tank decals of the XXX Corps sign?

Second question: If I cannot locate any decals, then I will have to make my own, and in this case, can anyone tell me what size the square should be?

Many thanks for now
Best wishes and I hope EVERYONE has a great New Year
Ian

email (option): fozzie001@hotmail.com

Re: XXX Corps

'Formation Signs' (The Divisional / Corps etc. insignia) appear to have been discontinued for use on motorcycles towards the end of 1941 - sequential A.C.I.s (Army Council Instructions) are quite consistent on this.

The basis behind this decision is unclear. It may be that with motorcycles frequently detached from their units, it became confusing but it would have been logical to assume that the normal traffic control considerations would have applied to motorcycles also.

Vehicle Markings 1942 photo IMG_6456A_zps1daeda32.jpg

Vehicle Markings 1942 b photo IMG_6457A_zps1ade1225.jpg

This means that strictly speaking, you do not require a formation sign, but simply an Arm of Service sign on each side of the fuel tank. This will mean choosing an appropriate background colour and serial number for the unit that you wish to portray. If Corps Troops, this will incorporate the horizontal white bar above.

Div signs (when they are square) and unit markings are 5" square..Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Thanks for the input guys :-)

email (option): fozzie001@hotmail.com

Nieuwe pagina 1