Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
6 Spring clutch - how many plates?

i'm putting together the 6 spring clutch on my '58 M21 and I can't see how many plates I should be using.

The parts book shows 3 plain plates and 4 friction plates but as far as I can see I need to fit the same number of both? The clutch sprocket drum has friction segments at the bottom so the first plate to fit must be a plain one and the last one fitted must be a friction one as the final plate that carries the Spring is a plain one.

Can anyone throw any light on this please?

Gary.

email (option): gj.owen@hotmail.co.uk

Re: 6 Spring clutch - how many plates?

Here is the Draganfly list for the 6 spring clutch. They state that the clutch is not very good (which I would agree with). Better to use the single spring or Triumph clutch.

They also quote 3 plain and 4 friction for that year.

http://www.draganfly.co.uk/index.php/bsa/bsa/a710--b3133--c101112--m202133/category/907-6-spring-clutch

Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

['Better to use the single spring or Triumph clutch.']...

I'd second that...Although the 6 spring clutch has its proponents IMO it is of very poor design and manufacture.
I throw them away or give them away when I'm unlucky enough to get one...

The giveaway is that as soon as BSA bought out Triumph they stopped using their own clutch and fitted the Triumph one...Say no more...

I'd go for the Triumph clutch and associated parts required to fit it to a BSA...

A Tiger 110 type clutch is the one for the job..All the parts are available new and of good quality...Personally I favour L.F.Harris parts myself...

Don't get the 'heavy' clutch springs if you choose to go down that route, the longer but lighter springs are much better for all the singles and give a nice light operation without slipping...

If you do a search on the forum you will probably find previous posts on this subject that detail everything you need...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Ian Wright
['Better to use the single spring or Triumph clutch.']...

I'd go for the Triumph clutch and associated parts required to fit it to a BSA...

A Tiger 110 type clutch is the one for the job..All the parts are available new and of good quality...Personally I favour L.F.Harris parts myself...

Good advice of course, but I checked this option out before and I'm looking at about £400 for this and I decided to try and make do with what I've got and maybe go down this road later if finances permit. Unless anyone out there has got a used unit up for grabs?

Gary.

email (option): gj.owen@hotmail.co.uk

You can certainly cut down the cost by going for good used parts...Note also that you don't need a clutch with a 'shock absorber' centre as there is one on the crank...

Even new the non shock absorber centre is considerably cheaper..Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Nieuwe pagina 1