Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Mag Pinion Locking Tool

Please can someone invent a mag pinion locking tool to be used when timing the bike. Perhaps a cunningly fashioned chopped up old pinion that locked the pinion to the top screw hole of the inner case.

I will buy one if it works

email (option): sacombsashtrees@hotmail.com

Re: Mag Pinion Locking Tool

I don't think it's the pinion that needs locking? It's more likely that the armature turns as you nip the nut. I hold the points block while I gently-gently nip the nut then tun the engine over 2 revs to double check before fully tightening the nut. It's still a miracle if it's right first time though

The best answer would be a two part pinion with the centre bolted tight to the armature and a moving/adjusable gear on the outside. Ian spoke of making such a pinion once. Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

I wouldn't recommend holding the points assembly...Certainly not unless you are VERY familiar with the procedures...

It is extremely easy to damage the points assembly and more importantly, the armature if too much force is applied to the mag drive gear nut whilst holding the points...

If it's the armature that is damaged a mag rebuild and new armature will be required..

I may look again at the 'adjustable' mag drive gear...I worked it all out and produced one prototype but didn't go any further due to the cost of making them...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Ian Wright
I wouldn't recommend holding the points assembly...Certainly not unless you are VERY familiar with the procedures......Ian

It's why I reiterated the word 'Gently' It's merely my way of getting a start on the taper with no spanner force until I think it's set right......Works for me! Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

The problem is there's no torque setting for 'gently'...

People interpret that differently and the result will inevitably be damaged armatures in some cases...It's happened often enough.

IMO it's best not to suggest a high risk strategy as a method for everyone to use, it may well end in tears..... ...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Nieuwe pagina 1