Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
setting points

For the first time I use a battery and bulb for setting the ignition points. No rizzle paper for me. So when the points start to open the bulb will lit. That is about 11 o'clock position. But the bulb also lit when the points are horizontal and closed of course.
How is this possible.

John

email (option): john.kater@chello.nl

Re: setting points

Hi John you need to remove the central screw holding the points assembly to armature then remove lock tab and replace this with a fibre washer to insulate points assembly.Replace points then you can use a battery & bulb to time your engine.. Dave

If you don't have any fag papers or a Gideon's Bible handy then a sliver of carrier bag is a good substitute and you would get about 1000 slivers per bag!
Richard

That's very good value for 5p.

email (option): sacombsashtrees@hotmail.com

Just used Richard's tip of using strips of thin plastic carrier bags....much better than Rizla papers that get all oily and rip.

email (option): sacombsashtrees@hotmail.com

After 70 years evolution of setting the points: from paper to plastic. Maybe, just maybe, we will use a bulb. Time will tell.

John

email (option): john.kater@chello.nl

There's no need to rush into anything... ...

I use one of the electronic gadgets that has a light and a 'beeper' to tell me when the contact breakers are at the point of opening...Handy as I don't have to look at it whilst turning the mag...

I've retired the Rizlas and bits of plastic...I must be some sort of revolutionary... ...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Nieuwe pagina 1