Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Bent front forks(part2)

Hi All
I'm trying to get my head around what's missing or not from my WM20 project.
1)Are there any drawings for the front forks to get angles/dimensions from?
2)Should there be any spacers/shims/washers between the vvarious top and bottom links(15-5239/40/41 and 42) and the main fork assembly.
3)If viewed from above should the links be parallel.
Any help would be great before I talk to Terry Mead about straightening them.
Thanks in advance.
John

Re: Bent front forks(part2)

This is all I have. Note the left side is splayed out more to accommodate the speedo drive. The links should be parallel and with no washers as original between the link and forks. Although I have seen thin bronze washers fitted by some people.
Also note that later forks are 1/2" longer and hence the hex spacer under the forks for the mudguard. Ron

PS Click the image if it's cropped on the right.

photo Scan-140318-0001_zpsdi4faefn.jpg

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

The links should be parallel when the forks are assembled and correctly adjusted...

However, wear at various points can make this impossible to achieve...

The bottom yoke and the fork blades where the other end of the links fit should be the same width..

Likewise the top yoke and corresponding part of the fork blade should also be the same width...

If they are not the challenge is finding out where the wear is in relation to the forks centre line... ...

The inner faces of the links can also be worn if the fork link retaining bolts/nuts have been 'over adjusted' in the past...Ian

Ian/Ron
Thanks very much for your input regarding my fork problems. I'll go away and get measuring over the weekend.
That means I will probably come back with more questions!!
Thanks again.
John

Nieuwe pagina 1