Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Michelin 3.25 x 19 W.D. 1-51 tires

Hi gents,

As you can tell, I am plodding very slowly toward winter, when the pace should pick up on my BSA M20 project. I am still primarily in ‘document everything’ mode and, other than removing and inspecting the piston, I haven’t really dug into the internals at all.

Today I carved out a little time to inspect the tires. They are both marked exactly the same: “MICHELIN / MADE IN ENGLAND”, “3 25 - 19”, and “W.D. 1-51.” I’m sure you’ve all seen plenty of these, given the batch of post-war BAOR bikes that seems to have been shipped to the states, but here are a few photos:

The brand and size marking are clear. I’m guessing the War Department mark is a pattern and date or just a date (month and year), correct? That’s very consistent with my bike - mix of early, mid, and late components; post-war paint, tank, mudguard markings, and registration plates; and service in BAOR and sold as surplus in 1959 per key card.

The tires are not useable, but in keeping with my goal of preserving the bike’s largely original and unmolested post-war identity, I would like to find something as close as possible in terms of the tread pattern.

I don’t mind deviating a little bit if I have to go up to a 3.50 x 19, and I may even go with another tread, but for now, I’d like to at least try to see if there is a modern tire that comes close.

So, I’m taking recommendations on matching this tread…

It doesn’t look like the tread pattern on Dunlop Uni-Grip, Dunlop K70, Ensign Trials Universal, or Mitas Speedway.

Coincidentally, it looks like the tread on the bike on the left in the current website photo (the one with the girls hopping on the back!).

Any ideas?

Re: Michelin 3.25 x 19 W.D. 1-51 tires

You'll have a hard job to match that tread, I have one of those on the front of my bike, it must be a least 50 years old, it shows no sign of perishing or cracking, they are an easy supple tyre to fit.
I realise I'll set off a "I replace my tyres every three years" type of discussion, but I am quite happy riding on it, have had no problems with it in the 30 yrs its been on,[it replaces another of the same].
The blocks of the tread start to wear unevenly that's all.

My only proviso is I never ride on it in the wet, not after an experience on wet Belgian cobbles, but the resulting straight on at a lefthand corner experience is one that should be experienced by all true rivet counters.

Please spare me the safety lectures.Heard them all.

email (option): deadsheds[at]yahoo[dot]com

Thanks for your input, Ken. If these weren't split on the side walls, I think I'd try them, tentatively. I grew up riding enduros in the very early 70's and they remind me of the x-pattern (more like a crossed hockey sticks pattern) enduro tires of that era. I'll keep looking.

possibly yours are suffering from a hot climate/years of standing flat?

it may be worth your while perusing french suppliers, every now and again Michelin produce a short run of another of their classic tyre,ZZ I think.
Thats unless the EUssr has put a stop to it

email (option): deadsheds[at]yahoo[dot]com

This bike stood untouched in a shed for at least 40 years, ken. It has never been titled or driven in the states. I'm guessing a good many of those years were on flats.

Thanks for the tip. I'll try that.

Nieuwe pagina 1