Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Thread question for petrol taps

Aloha,

Could anyone enlighten me as to what threads are to be found on the petrol taps, in the holes in the gas tank and so on?
As for now I have about 3-5 different adaptors/unions in line and no tap. I am currently aiming at fitting two generic petrol taps that I have laying around (budget is running tight as I am approaching the end of my build), I believe the modern "standard" thread for these to be 1/4" BSP. Or am I wrong?

From the first adapter (out of as I mentioned quite a few) a get a rather small and narrow hole. Perhaps 1/8? not sure?
I have been looking at this https://www.vintagecarparts.co.uk/categories/vintage-car-parts-taps-pipe-and-fittings-fittings
as listed in another post here.
Thinking I could find an adapter/union to make it fit.

I would very much appreciate any info on this. Have worked for about ten years on britbikes and learned my way around most of the thread patterns. But never gave the pipe threads much thought.

Oh and it is a -47 M21 with, to my knowledge, the original tank.

/s

Re: Thread question for petrol taps

I should also mention that all the different adaptors came fitted (and slightly stuck) when I bought the bike (a basket case) so they're not "mine". Noticed that I was a bit unclear on this i my previous post.

Simon as I talked about in a previous thread. The most common tap to fit now is 1/4" BSP. From memory the original adaptors in the tank were 3/8" BSP and drilled and tapped to take a 1/8" BSP petrol tap. If you have some of these adaptors, you could just drill and tap them to 1/4" BSP.

Armours always kept a range of different adaptors, but I can't find them on their new on line shopping website. Maybe worth an email to Pete... https://www.armoursltd.co.uk/

Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Do Armours respond to emails? I gave up

email (option): deadsheds[at]yahoo[dot]com

Ron Pier
If you have some of these adaptors, you could just drill and tap them to 1/4" BSP.

Thought of this, always bit of a challenge though to get a hold of imperial taps living in metric-land.

Ron Pier
Armours always kept a range of different adaptors, but I can't find them on their new on line shopping website. Maybe worth an email to Pete... https://www.armoursltd.co.uk/

I'll se what he has, if he can help me!

Thanx!

Simonofsweden
Ron Pier
If you have some of these adaptors, you could just drill and tap them to 1/4" BSP.

Thought of this, always bit of a challenge though to get a hold of imperial taps living in metric-land.

Ron Pier

I'll se what he has, if he can help me!

Thanx!

I'm sure firms here like "Tracy Tools" or others on ebay will send you stuff Simon. Postage on small items won't break the bank. Ron

ken
Do Armours respond to emails? I gave up

I emailed him last week to order a special RE silencer that they have made to my pattern, and also to say I'd pop in with some calendar envelopes for 'narrow-boat Pete'.

He responded within the hour to confirm my order and that he'd get Vicky to bake some biscuits for my visit.......Maybe I'm just his Blue Eyed Boy Ron

Ron Pier
He responded within the hour to confirm my order and that he'd get Vicky to bake some biscuits for my visit.......Maybe I'm just his Blue Eyed Boy Ron

Good for you then!

Another question: What is the TPI for the 1/4 BSP? Can they differ? Think perhaps my best way to go is to order a tap.

Simon 1/4"BSP is 19 TPI. Straight forward if you order one from Tracy Tools or someone. But order a BSPP tap for a parallel thread. You can get them with a taper thread (BSPT)

Ron

Ron Pier
order a BSPP tap for a parallel thread. You can get them with a taper thread (BSPT)
Ron

Ah, thank you. Now I will get i right I hope!
Remember when I fitted an oil pressure switch on my Bonneville that there where issues with different years having different threads (of course!) some taper and some straight, in the hole in the timing cover.

Nieuwe pagina 1