Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Maintenance

Hi folks.

I have quantity of gearbox gears and thought of spending some of the coming winter days cleaning them.

Have already used wire wheel to give it a shine in some of them.

Any suggestion for removing and preventing surface rust?

I tried using an ultrasonic unit out of curiosity with average results.

Thanks for your comments.

email (option): unpob@yahoo.com

Re: Maintenance

Naval jelly not to your liking? I've used it on all kinds of parts for rust removal with good results. Rinse well, blow dry and stick the part in a preheated oven or use a welding torch to heat it up uniformly, to make sure you got all the moisture. As for prevention a coating of motor oil, light grease or Cosmoline.

email (option): jonny.rudge@verizon.net

After degreasing I bead blast parts to get them completely clean....

I store them either in sealed plastic bags and sprayed with WD40 (relatively short term storage), in containers of oil or in containers of paraffin (longer term storage), the latter being easier to clean off, if needed, when the parts are retrieved at a later date..

However, if you have somewhere dry to store components you could just keep them in a container and clean up at the point of use...

Though I have to say I like looking at my stocks of cleaned up parts (sad) and you can sort out the parts for keeping and the parts for not keeping much more readily once they are cleaned....Ian

Thank you John and Ian.

I have cosmoline and will apply your suggestions.

email (option): unpob@yahoo.com

Dinitrol is available in aerosols and is a easier to clean off when you need it. It's like a thinner version of waxoyl and you barely notice it on parts, CI've just started using it in the workshop for parts that are repaired and will be sitting around for a while. It's good to put on the inside of your mudguards and on nuts and bolts as you fit them, if the washer chips you paint a little it protects the bare metal.

email (option): davmax@ntlworld.com

Hi Dave

Which Dinitrol are you using? A quick search on Amazon delivered a confusing number of what appear to be similar waxy type sprays (Dinitro 77B Combiwax Spray, Dinitrol ML, Dinitrol High Performance Wax, Dinitrol Penetrant 1000,DINITROL 3125 CAVITY WAX etc...etc..)

I could use something to protect the parts I have all over my shed as, as soon as I walk in there in winter, condensation starts to form on everything

Cheers
Pete

email (option): petercomley@web.de

It's worth going on the internet and buying some 'seal top' plastic bags in various sizes...

They are cheap as chips and ideal for storing cleaned up components...

They will also contain anything you apply to the component to prevent corrosion, separate the parts from the atmosphere and keep them clean...

I use them all the time for parts storage....Ian

Nieuwe pagina 1