Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Rob Miller....Help!!!

Hi Rob,

Long time no speak, how are you? How's the M and the build going, is the sidecar on the build bike now?

I was wondering if you could help me with some of your knowledge???

I've managed to get hold of an oil pressure indicacter and I'm stuck to what the finish should be. You see, I've heard that the early ones where raw in brass and copper, with the later being plated. I was wondering if you knew or could shed some light on this for me?

Kind regards

Ross

email (option): T58white@hotmail.com

Re: Rob Miller....Help!!!

Hi Ross

I'm fine thanks.

I suspect that there are other people on this forum who can answer this better than me.

I remember seeing somewhere that the oil indicator was originally a pre war AA (Automobile Association) accessorie. I have never owned an original but I think they would have been dull chrome plated for military use. It's even possible that the last ones were Cadmium plated.

So they may exist in a variety of finish's depending on when they were made.

Rob

email (option): robmiller11(a)yahoo.co.uk

I agree with you Rob and suggested to Ross that he asks Henk for any period pictures.

Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Rob and Ron,

Thank you for the replies.

I have as Ron suggested emailed Henk and I eagerly await his reply. I do have a couple of factory pictures of early WM models with the indicater fitted and a captured WM with one fitted, however, it's just unclear as to the finish.

Thanks again and I wish you both well.

Normandy next year???

Here is mine, fitted on a 1940 engine.

photo SAM_5213_zps29dcetr3.jpg

If your finish is too bad I would tin it, it saves the risk of losing this rare part at the platers.

Michiel / NL

Hi Michiel ,

That's a brilliant picture and just what I needed. Mine has been cleaned up by someone in the past. The brass is dull as is the copper.

As yours has some lovely patina and the plating is wearing in places to expose the brass and copper, it looks brilliant.
I hadn't thought of tin. Thanking you very much.

Kind regards

Ross

Nieuwe pagina 1