Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Correct type headlight switch BSA KM20?

Hello,

I am looking for some information about the correct type of headlight switch for my BSA KM20. The headlight switch on my BSA KM20 is broken. The type of switch which is currently on my BSA is the one without the "T", but I am not sure if this is correct.

Is there anyone who has a BSA KM20 and can tell me which type should be on my BSA?

Any info is much appreciated.

Cheers,
Bastiaan

Re: Correct type headlight switch BSA KM20?

hello bastiaan

where you coming from?
i don,t know wich is the correct switch for a km20.
but if you need an off l h switch,i have 2 originals for sale.

email (option): roy206@hotmail.com

I think the Civilian pattern 3 position switch was used on early WD machines, but I don't when the 4 position switch came into use.

I would assume that all early WD machines would have been updated but there is no mention of this in the list of DME circulars.

Rob

email (option): robmiller11(a)yahoo.co.uk

Hi Roy and Rob,

Thank you for your answers!

The trouble is that I have the correct headlight on my BSA, but with a wrong ammeter and I am not sure about the switch.

I have found none original photos with enough detail to see the switch. My KM20 is from 1939, frame and engine number matching.

I live in the Netherlands, i am interested in the civilian type of headlight switches. My email is: wdmotorcycles@gmail.com

Cheers,
Bastiaan

Well this was the current thought that in 1940 the 3 pos. switch was still used, Rik however came up with new evidence that the bikes already had the 4 position switch with the "T" position as first in 1939, so I switched over to that one, and everybody with Nortons here is now! believe it is all in the wiring diagrams, that are in the period literature, but am sure Rik will chime in.

Well, in case he doesn't, here what he sent me last July:

"Lex,

There was a discussion on the forum I think about when the 'T' position switch came in and the VAOS supplements aren't all that clear. However, there are 1939 documents which refer to use of rear lamp only during convoy procedures and it's certainly what mine had on it. I think it highly unlikely that mine was altered after May / June 1940...However, it is quite possible that it didn't leave the factory with that switch but that it was changed in France during the early part of 1940 as it was required for the convoy and night driving exercises that they were carrying out.

...So I wouldn't stick my neck out on production but I would say definitely 'T' position for BEF and later."

Here the wiring diagram I used, is early as seen by the dipswitch, when all connected, it works 100% with the T pos. switch.

Scan from Rob Miller??

Cheers,

Lex

ps, don't buy any Indian pattern made switches, they are crap!

email (option): welbike@welbXXX.net

Nieuwe pagina 1