Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Oversize rollers

Just wondering, is there a company anywhere in the whole world, that can manufacture and supply quality roller bearing elements in 10 ths thou oversize, particularly 1/4" x 5/16" (0.250" x 0.3125") Would be great for M and B big end repair, and also wobbly clutch chainwheels.
I have been able to make some with a grinder in the cross slide, with rollers in the various oversizes for the 50's harley application. These are approx 0.600" long.
I don't like my chances though, as once the outer hardened skin is broken (if on the ends)bearing failure would be imminent.IMO.
Any ideas from old school engineers (Ian) would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance.
Keith A

email (option): keithatkinson@hotmail.com

Re: Oversize rollers

I think Darren Wrudd may have some comment on this one...I haven't tried to procure any lately but I know they are getting harder to find...

Regarding sizes, whenever I have had them previously they were o/size in increments of .001"..I've never had them in 10ths of a thou increments....

Big end rollers that have done much mileage are usually around a thou undersize and cleaning up a good used pin and outer eye prior to replacing the rollers would result in the need for a roller at least .001" oversize I would have thought...

The Harley rollers are available in .001" increments I believe and Dave Plumb has supplied them in the past..He uses those for big end refurbishment with reliable results....

The Vintage Bearing Company have some but it would be around £40-60 to purchase enough to restore a big end...That means the rollers are pretty expensive at £20 for 10 but it still beats approx. £200 for a complete big end bearing assembly...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Before using any oversize rollers - make sure what they are running in is actually round.
Most, if not all roller tracks in Con-Rods are oval, many have a wear lip (visible or not).

Usually there is sufficient hardening to have them ground/lapped round - we have an american car tuning outfit round here (Castleford) who regularly hone c-rod eyes round.

Then start measuring and see whats available - yes 1/4" rollers are available from H-D in 0.001" increments - the USA is often the best place to start looking, though they were available from Alpha - many ears ago ....?
Any imperial bearings in the UK are expensive.

Length is not a real problem as they can be put on a magnetic bed and surface ground to length - then hand fettled to get rid of the sharp edge.

Nigp is correct of course that the length issue is less of an issue as it is easy to grind them. I do have a few contacts at the manufacturers for small quantity specials so it is not out of the question by any means.
If you do want specific sizes, please drop me an email and I will look into it. But I cannot really ask for a general size range on specials.
Darren

email (option): dwrudd@lineone dot net

Nieuwe pagina 1