Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Barn find WM20 frame and gearbox information required

Hi i was fortunate enough to purchase a barn find WM20 that i think is a 1944 build as the frame number is 106418. The chap i got it from pointed out two odd features that it has as he had a 1943 model that seemed to be more of the norm.

On mine it has a an extra lug in front of the spindle on both sides of the rear wheel mounting that is quite large in diameter maybe 1" and threaded inside. Does anyone know what this is for? I did find the same lug on a bike for sale on ebay (it's still there if anyone is looking for a clean ish one). so it can't be that uncommon.

The gearbox clutch mounting shaft is also a bit odd as it is about 2 inches longer than what i have seen to be standard and i have a standard one that came with the parts a brought with it. The taper is still up against the final drive sprocket but the straight spindle is lengthened. Any ideas?

This is my first heavyweight machine and i am delighted that it's a wd machine, though the parts prices are little scary compared to the light weights im used to!

i have pic's of these area's if someone could let me know how to put them up.

Thanks in advance for any info you can provide

Grahame

email (option): packagingmuseum@gmail.com

Re: Barn find WM20 frame and gearbox information required

That sounds like the you have a post war rear frame with side car lugs. The one on ebay has them also, as already discussed here in the thread "One that made it home"

WW2 M20's were only fitted with side car lugs on machines that were ordered with side cars, and these had only one lug one the rear, on the left side. Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Mmmm packaging museum Eh. See thread Unknown object???

Hi Grahame,

Your description of the gearboxmainshaft looks like a sloper or V-twin one. They had the (very) heavyweight clutch fitted which required a longer straight end.

But pictures would help, you can uploaded them on the (free) photobucket site and copy-paste the HTML into the text.

Good luck with your project!, Michiel

Ron Pier
That sounds like the you have a post war rear frame with side car lugs. The one on ebay has them also, as already discussed here in the thread "One that made it home"

WW2 M20's were only fitted with side car lugs on machines that were ordered with side cars, and these had only one lug one the rear, on the left side. Ron

Hi Ron thanks for replying to my post, i did think that they are more than likely sidecar mounts, but thanks for clearing that up.

I have looked a little closer at them and they actually don't match! The left one has no place for a chain adjuster and the right has a threaded hole with the broken off adjuster in it! I cant believe that they made it with one only and on the side where there is no chain! this seems daft.
So i wonder is this a side car bike that has had the right half the rear frame replaced at some point during it's service, as it is only the small top bar to unbraze to swap it.
Is there anyone on the forum who has an original combination bike to check this out against.

Im going to try and add some pic's in a few minutes

Grahame

Michiel W
Hi Grahame,

Your description of the gearboxmainshaft looks like a sloper or V-twin one. They had the (very) heavyweight clutch fitted which required a longer straight end.

But pictures would help, you can uploaded them on the (free) photobucket site and copy-paste the HTML into the text.

Good luck with your project!, Michiel

Hi Michiel
Thank you for responding to my post, im going to try put up some pic's in a few mins.
I wonder if the combination bikes had a bigger clutch set for the added load, someone here must have an original combination that could verify this.
regards Grahame

photo DSC_2012_zpsogb45air.jpg

photo DSC_2015_zpshhclmvx2.jpg

photo DSC_2001_zpsmlmyungf.jpg

photo DSC_2008_zpswap1f7h6.jpg

photo DSC_2006_zps5mwm8deh.jpg

Hi Grahame,

I just took a look at a postwar rigid frame and a military rigid frame and they both have the adjuster you mention on the off side. If you look at the near side on the inside of the frame you'll see a small dowell that the snail cam adjusts against on the chain side.

Glenn

email (option): glenn_mullan@postmaster.co.uk

Keith H
Mmmm packaging museum Eh. See thread Unknown object???

Ill check it out, yes i do have one of packaging and advertising spanning 1800-1970, it was open to the public but it's closed for the moment pending a new home. Around 2500 individual items on display and a 1950's tv shop, mostly paper and card including some war time stuff. Bikes came first though !

Glenn
Hi Grahame,

I just took a look at a postwar rigid frame and a military rigid frame and they both have the adjuster you mention on the off side. If you look at the near side on the inside of the frame you'll see a small dowell that the snail cam adjusts against on the chain side.

Glenn

Ah ok! thanks Glenn
I am on a steep learning curve with this one, as it is very much a box of bit's bike(though it seems to be around 85% there with a spare civy engine and gearbox internals) I really need to get a workshop manual for it!

thanks for the info
Grahame

Nieuwe pagina 1