Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
OT... oh no, another damn BSA (ZB34A content)

A friend had a ZB 34A from 1949 vintage. He offered it to me for $3K. It's a project, but it is all there plus many spares (TT carb, 3 magdynos, 3 petrol tanks, 2 oil tanks, 4 spare boxes, wheels, various others). Couldn't resist.

Crap. What did I get myself into?

The engine turns over. It was put up a decade ago for wet sumping. 12K miles.

I need another project like a hole in the head. Though not a 'real' GS, is this a nice bike to have and ride?

Re: OT... oh no, another damn BSA (ZB34A content)

You did OK with that one..I'd have had it at that price here in the UK..

At that time there was little difference between the B34s and the 'pukka' Gold Stars....Just port sizes, cams etc....

They make a nice light bike and with very moderate 'tweaking' can be made to go pretty well too...

Is it a plunger?....1949 is the first year for the alloy motors so I would say it's a good purchase...

All it needs now is 18 months of your spare time and all your spare cash... ....

My 'bargain' 1970 T120R Bonneville is at the 'man pouring money into a bucket' stage right now...but I'm enjoying slowly getting it all together...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Congratulations!
As long as there is physical space for them one can never have to many projects in my opinion. Might as well have the money in the garage as in the bank is my excuse to myself.

Thanks guys. Ian, it is a plunger frame model. Not too keen on the plunger bikes, prefer a rigid over a plunger, but what the hell.

I thought the ZB34 GS had a bigger bearing on the drive side than the ZB34?

email (option): davmax@ntlworld.com

If memory serves early engines with a 'one piece' head and rocker box all use the same bearings as the B Models...

Engines with a separate rocker box used the same bearing as the B Models in the 350s but had the larger bearing in the 500s...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Nieuwe pagina 1