Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Padlocks again

I picked up another little WD padlock recently, shown here on the left of what I thought was a motor cycle sized example.

I think its dated 1934, but someone I showed it to suggested it was 1954

Rob

photo pad1_zps385e9526.jpg

photo pad2_zpsbff33823.jpg

email (option): robmiller11@yahoo.co.uk

Re: Padlocks again

It looks like 1934 to me...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Definitely a '3', I'd say.

Was there a specific WD motorcycle padlock ?..and what's he wearing ? It looks like waxed cotton ?

Lock it or Lose it !

photo PadlockIWM_00092_zps1a7c6646.jpg

It's the one piece Barbour suit that was rejected in trials in favour of the DR kit we are more familiar with...Ian  photo Triumph.jpg

Rob, I never saw that 1934! was referring to the marking in the red circle!!

Cheers,

Lex

email (option): welbike@sameagain.net

I picked up this one for my M20 based on the fact it says British Made and is old, does anybody know anything about it?

Rob it looks like it has a 1993 date on it also Maybe it was made in 1934 then inspected at 20 and 39 year intervals Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Hi Ron

"93" is the key number as I'm sure your aware, the number that Lex thinks is a "5" is to the right of the arrow, but I still think it looks like a "3".

Rob

photo pad3_zps1311f56d.jpg

Yeah Rob, you're probably right, what camera are you using? that's excellent!!

Cheers,

Lex

email (option): welbike@sameagain.net

These images were taken with my HP scanjet 2400 flat bed scanner.

Rob

Yes Rob I was joshing. But your latest picture nicely shows a 3 that I first thought was a 5 (like Lex) Clearly an inter war years item. Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Two new purchases

The 1940 dated lock has replacement keys (they should be like the one with the 1939 lock) but they could still be wartime, I'm pretty sure the chain is full length as the last link is straight as opposed to "curbed".

Rob

photo padlock_zpssmpo8mgw.jpg

email (option): robmiller11(a)yahoo.co.uk

Oh that's nice Rob!

Cheers,
Jan

email (option): wd.register@gmail.com

Someone might pick the lock just to get the lock and chain!.. ..Ian

Reminds me of one year when I travelled over from darkest Kent to the Goodwood Revival in Sussex for the NOBS display, with the Matchless on a trailer. For security, bike firmly padlocked onto the car and trailer. I had brought the wrong key to unlock it! "Oh golly, gosh, that is unfortunate", I said......or maybe not quite that. I was setting up camp next to fellow NOB Graeme who wondered what the fuss was about. Turned out he is a locksmith and had his set of lockpicks with him!! I mean, how lucky is that?! I now treat all padlocks with caution and quadruple check where the keys are!

It's strange Rob. I'd have expected motorcycle locks to have an escutcheon cover if anything did.

I'm sure that you're correct about the chain length. Mine is four links shorter and finishes on a curb-link. I do have (one) correct key though :-)

photo PA101199_zpst3aiunea.jpg

photo DSC_0209_zpshscz2iio.jpg

The locks and chains seem to disappear from photographs and are no longer mentioned in the toolkit lists from 1941 or so onwards, at which point their use seems to have been replaced with the factory-fitted HT lead immobilisers.

I suspect they were designed to be carried inside the toolbox, it just became common practice to carry them outside.

Of all the rare and desirable accessories for a WD bike this is probable the most difficult to steal, unless Grahame is around of course Rob

It makes you (well me) wonder whether the 'escutcheon cover' of a lock originally had the makers name or mark on it...

The other use of the word Escutcheon is for a shield with a coat of arms....Ian

Rik, Rob,

What are the dimensions of these chain links? (Wire thickness, outside length, outside width)

Cheers,
Jan

email (option): wd.register@gmail.com

Jan, if you promise to make me some, I'll tell you. Otherwise you're on your own, mate !

Hi Rob,

Defiantly looks like "1934" to me !

Nice item 👍🏻😀

Mark

email (option): towersmark84@yahoo.co.uk

To the right of the crows foot is a 3 followed by a 2, which no one mentioned.

Hi Keith, I agree its probably a "2" after the "3", and I'm not sure what 32 signifies, but the implication was that this was a 1950s dated lock, when it isn't.

Rob

I have one of these locks with a 44 date on it.

Just got this to go with the bike. Not sure about the black paint, might strip it down

email (option): martynhillyard@msn.com

Another 1944 dated one! You might want to leave the black paint. A lot of MKIV Enfields were painted black after reconditioning at the armories late in the war. So it could be probable that black paint was widely used to protect bare metal.

It may have been painted black to match a black camouflaged painted part of a military vehicle, a locker on a Churchill tank for example?

Rob

Will probably leave the paint, was thinking it was brass but it isnt.

Its a bit crudely painted but what wasnt back then!

email (option): martynhillyard@msn.com

Martyn Hillyard, don't strip it down! i have one, exactly like it, same brand same date and was painted likewise. is tripped it and regret it because it migth have been factory finished like that

Does anyone remember the mincing sketch of the Pythons, as they did drill in WW2 army outfits? I think I may have found one of their padlocks for the bikes they had then, can anyone tell me if they are genuine ?

http://s1334.photobucket.com/user/dwrudd/media/033_zpsabwy4hla.jpg.html

I am no expert, but I think they may be copies.................

Darren

email (option): dwrudd at lineone.net

just got hold of this padlock with original box and manual. Can anyone tell me if it's a pre- or postwar item?

email (option): maartenengels@hotmail.com

Rootling through my grandad's old spares tins last night I turned up two nice little WD padlocks.
At centre, Belfry Brand, broad arrow, WD and 1940 stamps.
At right, the broad arrow and I think, very corroded, a 1938 stamp and fragments of illegible maker's mark.
Both with sliding keyhole covers.
Sadly no matching keys as yet.
The big one at left I bought from a jumble, 1976 date I guess.
Spanner for scale.
John
IMG-7625

email (option): John.childs1@btopenworld.com

Nieuwe pagina 1