Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
WM20 VALUE - to buy or not to buy - that is the question!!?

I have been offered a 1940 WM20 for the equivelant of £3,250 and am wrestling with whether or not to buy it. I don't have surplus cash, so don't want to make a costly mistake!
The bike appears to be 100% original and complete, and is in very good condition visually. Mechanically, the gearbox is not functioning, but compression is good and there is a heathly spark, so the mag. appears okay. It has, apparently, not been started for many years, so I've no idea if it's a runner, once the gearbox is sorted. It has matching frame and engine numbers, but it's unregistered and there is no paperwork, so registration may take a bit of sorting out in France.
As I was lucky enough to get the bike I'm currently restoring, free of charge, I'm not too conversant with prices for WM20's in pre-restored condition, so any comments on it's, current or potential, value would be much appreciated.
Scorp.

email (option): wm20atscorpionvideo.net

Re: WM20 VALUE - to buy or not to buy - that is the question!!?

Buy it, that's a good price!

email (option): barryrapley@sky.com

I seem to recall some discussion not long back on the forum about prices. I think the consensus was that if buying from a dealer, or outside of the enthusiast circle, then you could easily end up spending up to £2000 more than what is being asked for yours. Within 'the circle' it is still possible to obtain a complete bike at around that price if you are patient. Basket cases for less - but your offer doesn't sound like that. To me it seems a reasonable price for a bike that is complete and cosmetically looks good. I paid a lot more for mine and found it needed a load of work - and a repaint. If you have the spare money - buy it. They are only going up in value, and money in the bank is doing the opposite :-(

Hi Scorp.

If it is an original early bike it should have the big tank, 8 inch DU142, the valanced rearmudguard, the rubber mounted handlebars, the combination levers, front numberplate on mudguard, the groove in the gearbox endcasting for the rubber boot around the clutch arm pivot, etc.

If originality is important for you, I would also make sure that the numbers are not re-stamped.

Some pictures would help to check out.

Good luck, Michiel / NL

email (option): m.wijbenga@hotmail.com

Yes the 100% original part is the big question.

Do you mean it is in original paint and markings? or that there are no parts missing?

Rob

email (option): robmiller11(at)yahoo.co.uk

Having an obsession with the 1940 campaign in France & Flanders, if that's a French fermette-find bike with most original parts, including the small bits and perhaps a hint of markings, I'd bite the seller's hand off for it.

With a 1940 bike, you can get away from all those ugly canvas panniers and grips, have proper rubber footrests and generally ignore all the 1944 nonsense.

If it's been re-imported from the Far East, however....

And you can pretend you're going to give the Hun a good thrashing....at least for a while.. ....Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Nieuwe pagina 1