Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
gap

There always seems to be a gap between the magneto and the crankcase. Because of that, there is air coming out and noise. (but no oil)

Should I use liquid gasket

Thanks
John

email (option): john.kater@chello.nl

Re: gap

On my Norton its the same, just a gap tho, no crankcase pressure due to the mag chain drive. I use a homemade circular gasket that I made a few of years ago to stop dirt getting in. One side is like leather, the other soft wool like material, I forget were I got it from. The leather side goes against the back of the timing chest held with a dab of prit or whatever.
Works a treat!
Don't use liquid gasket.

Hi John...If you have an M20 there is an oil seal in the crankcase that runs on the back of the magneto drive gear...If the shoulder on the gear is in good condition, you are using a modern replacement oil seal and the magneto is positioned correctly (central to the seal), there shouldn't be air escaping.

If it's blowing air it will also blow oil after you have run it for a while...

I would check through all these points...There is no need to fit a gasket between the mag and the crankcase if everything is in order...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Ian Wright

If it's blowing air it will also blow oil after you have run it for a while...

Ian, You are right. After removing the magneto, there was engine oil on the crankcase. I will try to sort this.

Thanks

John

email (option): john.kater@chello.nl

Nieuwe pagina 1