Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Ian HELP!

Sorry gear box again.

Ok lets start with the lay shaft....double gears top and 3rd are they pressed on the shaft? how much force do i use.lay shaft is binding when i put the inner cover on.....2nd (25t) and 1st (29),do any of these gears have 3 holes for oil journals?

I took yours, Rons or Robbs advice and made a set of bench bearings which works great with taking the box apart one hundred times!
Main shaft: double gears 2nd and 1st pressed or not. 3rd gear (25t) does this have thee holes for oil journal?

I then took all the gears off the shafts except pinion and installed them, put the inner cover on with bearings, gasket and sprocket, i have plenty of axial movement in all shafts.I think were i'am going wrong is i did not press the double gears on all the way.any and all help would be greatly appreciated thanks again...

Lost in Detroit....frank

PS i did not have the opportunity to see this gear box together as i received it in a box, the graphics i have are not the best.

email (option): frankschenk09@gmail.com

Re: Ian HELP!

Hi Frank...The 'fixed' gears on both shafts are pressed on and are a tight fit.

Each one should be pressed on all the way until it 'bottoms out'...At that point the gear that is captive on the shafts will still rotate freely.

2nd gear on the layshaft and 3rd. gear on the mainshaft both have the same number of teeth...However, only one has the three lubrication holes.

That one is the one on the mainshaft..(one shaft is hollow and has 'internal' lubrication holes, the other is solid and therefore has lubrication holes in the gear)...

The best way to assemble the box is to fit each shaft (mainshaft, layshaft, selector shaft) individually and shim each one..Then assemble the whole thing.
Don't forget to fit an inner cover gasket when shimming....

Each shaft should have approx. .005" end float after shimming....

Also note that after fitting the kickstart ratchet pinion gears the first retaining nut should only be done up finger tight only (check that you still have end float after tightening...)
The tabwasher should then be fitted and the second nut should be fitted and locked up...
Take care not to tighten the first nut anymore when tightening the second one. After tightening both nuts check again that you still have end float on the shaft...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Nieuwe pagina 1