Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Front Wheel and Brake from ebay

I bought this front wheel, brake and tire on ebay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Bsa-M20-21-Motorcyw-Wheel-/390716016946?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEWNX%3AIT&nma=true&si=s0i7a1SJxpBV98w41%252BT6r83Jb2k%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

The rim is a Jone WM3-19 and has two holes. I am guessing that it is actually a rear rim. The brake side (offside) outer spokes are warped over at the crossing points and the spoke heads do not lay flush in the brake drum holes.

Is this because the spoke nipple angles in the rim are different between front and rear wheels?

Re: Front Wheel and Brake from ebay

The piercing angles will be different in the front and rear rims as the brake side is a larger diameter on the front hub, which alters the angle....Spoke sizes are also different for front and rear hubs...

The rear wheel has 8 gauge spokes with an increased diameter at the flange on the drive side ('butted' spokes on one side)...The front wheel uses 10 gauge spokes on both sides, with neither side 'butted'....Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Thanks, Ian. The spokes on this wheel appear to be 10 gauge, but they seem to be mildly butted, as do the spokes on my other 2 front wheels.

I do not intend to use this wheel as is. I mostly wanted the brake parts. However, if the rim is straight, I may use it on a rear wheel with a bent rim. I will check things out on a truing stand later.

Hi Tom..As always there were variations...One of my M20 military 'standards' books shows butted spokes on one side at the rear...the other doesn't...However, neither book shows butted spokes for the front wheel....

Make of that what you will!.. ...

As for tyre clamps they were routinely fitted to the rear...but I can't find any reference to them either in the Army standards books or in the WD parts lists, which don't show tyres, tubes or rim tapes either....Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Spokes must have had short and unhappy lives on WM20s in service. Butted spokes would have made sensible replacements.

I have been using 37-3468 for the tire clamp part number, but I don't know where I came up with that. It might have been in an old Domiracer catalog BSA/Triumph parts section.

Hi Tom, I think the brakeside spokes are originally butted as yours, have seen that on many original M20 wheels and prewar wheels with the same type of hub.

As this side spokes are all in the same plane the butted part is quite short so that it stops before the spokes cross each other, a thing to remember when ordering new butted spokes. I recently received ones which had a longer butted part and they crossed on this thicker part and forced to bend the spokes more which looked bad..

So your whole frontwheel looks very original to me. The holes in the rim match nicely with the direction of the spokes. And the brakeside spokes look short butted and the other side spokes are plain like they should.

Nice buy, !

Regards, Michiel / NL

email (option): m.wijbenga@hotmail.com

Thanks, I had been looking for a long time. I plan to use it as a template for checking the fit of relined brake shoes.

Nieuwe pagina 1