Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
contract no sizes on tank

Hi everyone .what size are the numbers on the petrol tank for the contract numbers please

email (option): m.wales10@ntlworld.com

Re: contract no sizes on tank

Hi

If you go to 'OPTICAL INFORMATION' on the Forum and click on 'Tank C Numbers' you will find the answer to your question.

Andrew

email (option): andrew.tizzard@asarchaeology.com

Cheers andrew

Earlier machines had smaller numbers of a different style and the layout did alter over time. If you give your census number, perhaps we can bracket it with actual examples from period photos to give you a better idea ? There are no modern fonts which are exact copies of the ex-factory forms.

What technique will you be using for applying them ?

Bob's bike is from contract C9387 and I calculate his census number to be C1034476 from about mid 1941. Ariel didn't seem to alter the size and font much according to these two pictures from O&M.
I used 1" scaling it against the tank badge and style 1 here..........

http://www.axholmesigns.co.uk/Topic/11-Fonts-Styles.aspx.

Ron

photo Scan-140112-0001_zps8c7117d3.jpg
 photo WING003_zps70d5751a.jpg

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Ah, an Ariel. I tend to assume that us non-Beeza chaps will usually mention the make. C9387 seems to have been one of the last motorcycle contracts to use those RASC serials.

They certainly do seem to have followed a practice of small figures set high and not conforming with the standard regulations. It would look odd with the large BSA style numbering.

I thoroughly recommend something in consultation with AxHolme signs as well. They'll send you proofs and help you to arrive at just the style that you're looking for.

Unfortunately, whilst I seem to have quite a lot of saved Ariel photographs, the quality is generally pretty poor. No decent high-res factory shots.

Thanks again ron for your lnput cheers

Hi I have some brass numbers that you slide togeather and paint over

If you copy this TrueTypeFont on your computer (in the C:/Windows/fonts directory on a MicroSoft computer), you can make your own stencils in Word, by using the LaserPaket font.

Jan

email (option): wd.register@gmail.com

Well you might be able to Jan Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Nieuwe pagina 1