Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Registering my BSA WM20 without any documentation

Hi All
Sorry if this has been asked before. I have searched and found similar topics but none that focus on the whole of my problem.

I am starting to think about registering my 1940 BSA WM20 but have a few problems.
It has never been registered in the UK before and therefore has no registration documentation (at all).

I do have two letters from The Vintage Motorcycle Club LTD which confirms the engine and frame dates but bold capital letters state on the letter that it should not be used as certificate of dating.

I just need to know where to start as the DVLA website isn't the most clear and I don't know where I can get a proof of age that can be used for a certificate of dating.

Hope you can help

Many thanks

Martyn Hillyard

email (option): martynhillyard@msn.com

Re: Registering my BSA WM20 without any documentation

If you a member of the MVT they offer a dating service for MILITARY vehicles/motorcycles-obviously there is a charge.
Regards Jon

Martyn, you need to be careful as DVLA are now very hot on co-operating with Customs and Excise over the NOVA regulations (even for vehicles purchased within the European Union) and your name and type of machine has been plastered all over the Internet.

Did you not receive any Belgian documents with the bike ? These can normally be used as the basis of a registration in another EU country.

The VMCC hold the original factory ledgers and most certainly can provide an official dating letter but I believe they make a charge for it and they may require inspection / photo dossier etc. The letter you have is probably for information only and not DVLA standard.

The BSA OC are also accredited and hold microfilm copies of the records. It's a question of which club you belong to / wish to pay really. However, I'd suggest getting the customs bit out of the way first.

There is no VAT etc to pay on a secondhand vehicle bought in from within the EU but the requirements have been tightened up no end due to all the fiddling East Europeans driving round for years with foreign-registered and uninsured vehicles (mind you, lots of Brits do it in Spain too !)

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/vat/managing/international/imports/nova.htm

Do not tell them it came from abroad its a barn find. I would say if their is a bsa club they will date it on the engine frame and gearbox number engine and frame ar the important two. The problem you have now is that all the local vosa offices have shut. Its worth a trip in the first instance to nip in to your local post office. Then you will have to contact swansea. But whatever dont mention any papers or anything to do with overseas you could finish up with vat import tax and god knows what else.

The problem as I see it is that Martyn has posted a lot on this forum and others (using his full name). There is always a risk that someone from Customs will Google his name and perhaps the make of the bike. The penalties for making a false declaration are substantial and HMCR have horrific powers (never heard of a body cavity search in relation to vehicle registration, but if they wanted to, they can....)

The NOVA requirement is now for all vehicles before registration so there is no question of getting away without a statutory declaration and if you make a false one, they 've got you.

There is no VAT within EU for secondhand vehicles. There was also no NOVA requirement until recently. However, I've read that they do have a procedure for vehicles that were imported longer ago and not registered immediately.

In addition, since January, DVLA should be entitled to check the database of all other EU states. If it has been registered in Belgium then they could find it that way. It's a risk that I personally wouldn't take.

I had a similar situation with my '42 WM20. I contacted HMRC and spoke to a number of different people before I found someone who understood what I was trying to do.
Apparently if the vehicle was built before 1973 and you can prove that then there is no need to register the vehicle through NOVA first, though you do need to speak to them as DVLA will refer to them as part of the registering process.
Get a dating cert from VMCC - not much cost and worth joining to get members discount - and send off to DVLA having spoken to HMRC(NOVA) first or it will get delayed.
It is best to speak to someone rather than relying on the 'net Q and A and forms.
Good luck - they even sent me a taxdisc to go with the registration. Dear of 'em.
Rick

email (option): rick.howell@talktallk.net

Nieuwe pagina 1