Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Norton Seat

Hi all,

another question to the experts. Step by step I am finalizing parts of my bike. Now I want to work on the seat. My bike came with the seat frame, defect rubberstrings covered with fabrics and including the saddle cover. See pictures.

For the cover my Idea is to demount the seat cover, out of that built a template of the “leftovers” and build a new cover by my self. The thick seat material below the seat cover looks quit good so I will reuse it.
If I have a look at my seat cover it is a kind of fabrics. I thought it should be leather? Also if I put that cover onto my seat the metal frame on the back side of the saddle frame is not covered?

The seat springs, on my seat there are leftovers of rubber strings covered in fabrics with metal clips. See picture of a repro part which looks identical. I only know metal springs below the seat cover. But if I have a look at the back of the seats metal frame there the openings are slots no holes so the clips will fit perfect.

Here are my questions:
a: does anyone know which seat cover material was used originally?
b: does anyone have good original pictures of the saddles (back side view)
c: spring or rubber strings?

photo IMG_0824_zps625d47ed.jpg

photo IMG_0825_zps96f8761c.jpg

photo IMG_0826_zpsca1ae8d7.jpg

photo Bildschirmfoto2014-01-05um105929_zps1ef6ca82.jpg

Thanks a lot again
Phillip

email (option): Phillip.Thaler@gmx.at

Re: Norton Seat

Hi Phillip...The material used for the original covers was called 'Rexine'..This is similar to a combination fabric and vinyl.

This material is no longer available generally so you have to select a vinyl that is as close to it visually as you can find if you want a new cover made...Leather was never used...

The type of saddle you have is an 'Aero' saddle. These used the 'aerolastic' material (similar to bungy cord) and clips instead of steel springs.

I believe Henk from this forum can supply the correct aerolastic material....Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Most of the materials that you need is available at most automotive trim shops, they use a thin textured vinyl that is a good substitute for the Rexine that was originally used. They also do a wadding that you can use as the padding. Unfortunately Rexine isn't around any more unless you can find a 1930s sofa as it is the same stuff that was used on them, it tends to become a bit brittle with age so it would be better going with the vinyl
Dave

email (option): davmax@ntlworld.com

Rexine was also known as "oilcloth" or "American cloth" and came in different thicknesses and finishes (eg - smooth or "pebbled")...........it was made using a fine thin canvas coated with a substance that involved linseed oil varnish.......and as stated it disappeared from use during the 1950s/60s when more modern materials became available.........

Another possible source for this fabric could be old soft-top car hoods, ragged examples which can still occasionally be found at autojumbles and there's usually a fair bit of material in them to play around with.............

Padding on the original covers was usually either compressed horsehair, felt matting or a combination of both mixed..........

Hi, Thanks for the posts. Just found one pice of the seat cover with its original structure. Looks like artificial leather. Maybe this is an alternatve too??

Does anyone have pictures of the back of the seat. Just found out there was a piece of fabric attached to hide the back frame part of the seat frame, found some artifacts on my seat cover.

Thanks
Phillip

email (option): Phillip.Thaler@gmx.at

Phillip,

Email sent, the back was usual rexine reinforced with strip of cardboard.

Leather was never ever used!

The horsehair padding I bought last October from a guy at Veterama, doing car upholstery materials, must have his card somewhere.

Cheers,

Lex

email (option): welbike at same.net

Nieuwe pagina 1