Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Help with Royal Artillery markings

I hoping there is someone out there that can help me with some markings for my G3L

I’m trying to replicate the insignia that would have been on my local TA units motorcycles during WW2. The unit is the Berkshire Yeomanry who were raised in 1794. Over the years the have had many roles and cap badges but during WW2 they were 145th (Berkshire Yeomanry) Field Regiment, Royal Artillery, They still exist but now as 94 (BY) Signals Squadron.

The BY spent most of the war on AA duties in Northern Ireland moving back to mainland UK prior to D-Day. As D-Day had gone better than the planners expected, with fewer casualties, they were not sent to Europe but were used to provide trained replacements to units already in Europe. The remainder of the unit were sent to the Far East where they converted to 25 pounders and fought until 1946.

I’d like to depict the Berks Yeomanry in the RA markings when they were on AA duties from 1940 to 1944 as this will tie in with the date of my bike. As far as I can tell they were split in two batteries - 395 and 396 Battery, I’d like to depict 395 Battery should that affect the markings.

The trouble is I’ve seen so many different RA markings, some with the blue and red separated vertically and others horizontally, as well as a 3 colour system. I’ve also seen conflicting information as to the parent unit (if that’s the correct expression), with some stating they were part of 61st Infantry Division and others stating the 41st Division. I also believe, possibly incorrectly, that the RA marking goes on one side of the tank and the unit/division marking goes on the other.

If there are any RA/vehicle marking aficionados out there could you provide me with some guidance?

Many thanks

Re: Help with Royal Artillery markings

Crikey Gerard, you've picked yourself a difficult one there. First you have to work out where your unit fitted into the scheme of things, then which markings would apply to that..and RA tactical markings are about the most complicated.

You refer to "AA Duties" but 145 were a Field Regiment which means field guns, probably 18/25 pdrs to start with.

They certainly went to Northern Ireland with 61st Division and remained their as part of BTNI (British Troops Northern Ireland) from 1940 to 1943. They are likely to have retained the divisional red diamond on a blue background and not adopted the BTNI three-barred gate.

According to my references, 41st Division was 'not formed'...it may have existed only as part of a disinformation campaign.

Strictly speaking, from 1941 onwards, 'Divisional' formation signs were not displayed on motorcycles but the scheme is a bit limited without.

The three field regiments attached to an infantry division in the UK from 1941 - 43 would have displayed 42,43,or 44 on a red over blue horizontal background (vertical was only used up to 1940 for AA regiments).

The question of the number is dependent upon seniority within the division and I have an idea that is based on their original seniority as infantry of the line...Malcolm Bellis' book seems to imply that they were the junior regiment and would have displayed '44'.

On top of this, some artillery regiments adopted tactical markings to indicate battery etc. but I have seen no evidence of this on motorcycles.

If you want to research this as much as possible, I'd suggest perhaps posting on ww2talk forum under the RA section and perhaps a visit to the regimental museum.

http://ww2talk.com/forums/

Nieuwe pagina 1