Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Why MOTs should still be with us

Look at this and its sort of legal ? eBay, 321272408548 Andrew.h.

email (option): warbikes@gmail.com

Re: Why MOTs should still be with us

I was looking at this bike earlier today....

A motorcycle must still comply with the 'Construction and Use' regulations despite the fact it no longer needs an MOT certificate...

My personal belief is that to remove the MOT requirement entirely opens up the possibility that bikes can be constructed to both an unsafe and illegal specification by those totally unqualified to carry out such work.
Then they can be put into immediate use, or worse, sold on to another unsuspecting individual...

Further, once in use, even if in compliance with all regulations when built, they can then be run to the point of failure with no further inspection being carried out...

Some of the machines offered for sale on e bay and elsewhere certainly don't comply with Construction and Use regs. and don't, from their appearance, inspire much confidence that they have been thoroughly and properly rebuilt.

This was always the case but at least an MOT inspection ensured, in most cases, that a minimum standard was achieved and there were no obvious defects...

The fact is the reasons for the introduction of the annual MOT test are just as valid today as they were at the time of its introduction...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Plus one on that Ian,

email (option): warbikes@gmail.com

Luckily tractors don't need an MOT either.

email (option): sacombsashtrees@hotmail.com

It has always amazed me that ex Army lorries (above a given weight) and tractors etc. are MOT exempt...Though they do still need to comply with the relevant Construction and Use regulations..
However, their potential for destruction in the event of an accident caused by a defect is far greater than that of many lighter vehicles that are required to have an MOT inspection...

Once you decide in principle that an MOT is not needed for some classes of road vehicle and the voluntary application of the C&U regulations are sufficient, logic would infer that the entire MOT structure is fairly pointless and you might as well remove it completely...

Personally I'm not convinced MOT exemption, or total exemption from some form of regular inspection is a sensible thing for any vehicle used on the roads...At the very least restored or rebuilt vehicles or vehicles that have been off the road for more than a specified time should be inspected initially before use.....Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Nieuwe pagina 1