Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Pictures from Dave Plumb

Hi, this is what I'm up to at the moment, I'm getting on with my G3L , I built the gearbox and bottom end of the motor a while back, I've only just got round to assembling it, I'm restoring the parts as I go along rather than doing them as a whole. I'm making every single fastener from stainless then blasting them to look like cadmium, which is quite time consuming as there are so many studs and nuts just in putting the engine and box in the engine plates. The big hold up is finding the lengths of the studs and spacers, there is a list on the jampot archives, but it is for the AJS so a few of them are the wrong size, but thanks to Ron I've now got them sorted, I've even done the ends of the tie bar for the dynamo and the draw bolt for the gearbox in stainless. I'm also going to do all the spindles in stainless. Just in case Ron is looking he may notice the parcel he sent me, sorry but I've not even opened it, I've just been making time to do something for myself for a change but don't worry it'll be sorted in the new year!
I'm very pleased with the leaded paint it seems to be pretty tough and tends to scratch if handled roughly rather than chipping and the good thing about it is that it dosen't even need primering unless there are any rust pits. Here's the pictures
Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

email (option): davmax@ntlworld.com

Re: Pictures from Dave Plumb

What's that! You haven't dealt with my parcel yet? If you take the whole day off today!! I'll expect you in all the earlier tomorrow...Humbug

Looking good Dave, and I like the stainless route too. but I expect you will have to remove the rear guard to fit the wheel (another Matchless trait). Most of the G3's G3L's that I've worked on, require that you remove the regulator lid to get the mudguard over the two 1/4" studs. (just a tip). Here is a G3 that I am tidying up for one of our US forum members. Ron

photo MF047_zps069ab7fd.jpg

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Yes, nice one Dave, I still have 2 1/2 to do!! but it's not urgent.

Only ctitisism, why use an Indian made toolbox???

Cheers,

Lex

email (option): welbike at same.net

They are Indian guards too, not quite the correct profile, but not too bad to fit. The toolboxes on eBay at the time when I decided to collect the bits were fetching strong money, but they seem to have come down in price lately so I may keep my eyes peeled for a genuine one . .......Sorry Ron I'll get on with it after lunch!

email (option): davmax@ntlworld.com

OK, didn't notice the guards, but the toolboxes Always stand out from a mile away! there were several at Stafford/Kempton, around 60-70 quid, not a bad price I would say, compared to other makes.

Some ribbed G3WO repro guards are not bad at all, but those come from whatshisname with the dreadlocks, he goes to India to oversee the work, and that pays off.

He Always takes originals with him, so good chance they are OK.

Keep up the good work,

Lex

Dean the Bean. D&G motorcycles. Ron

His M20 toolboxes are brilliant....Well, pretty good.....OK then, not so good, but a good effort....Actually a poor effort and not good.....In fact it's hard to tell they're for an M20... ...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Likewise the Royal Enfield rear carriers Ron

Very nice Dave keep up the good work, Like the stainless, do that myself, Looking forward to Ian's offerings Andrew.h.

email (option): warbikes@gmail.com

Only problem with the G3WO mudguards are, that they are too short, well only right for the last 1941 G3's built, but for the earlier ones you have to buy 2 sets and make them longer, not too much of a problem, but makes it a lot more expensive that way.

Believe Metal Magic makes correct ones now.

Cheers,

Lex

Nieuwe pagina 1