Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
M20 rear tank mount..

Following on from another thread on this subject...Does anyone have a NOS rear tank mounting rubber (the thicker of the two) that they can measure to give me the dimensions for this piece. (Part No.36-4140)

Also I need the dimensions for another part, namely..'Tank rear support bolt washer'..(Part No.30-659) Measurements of a good original example will be fine, the thickness being the most important dimension....Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Re: M20 rear tank mount..

Hi Ian

These "fat" rubbers came from an Australian dealer with the NOS bolts, but I don't know for a fact that they're original.

28.5mm OD
11.2mm ID
16.2mm thick

Rob

photo tankbolts_zps35e35407.jpg

email (option): robmiller11(at)yahoo.co.uk

Thanks Rob..They look pretty original. Perhaps if the O.D. proves to be the same as the O.D. of the washer that goes with them that might make originality more likely. Frustratingly I thought I had a couple of those washers but I can't find them...They are quite large..not a standard washer..

The other thing is to decide how hard they should be...The original 'thin' washers I have are like pieces of plywood and somehow I don't think they would absorb much, or any, vibration...

The NOS rubber washers I have for the front mounts are far more pliable and possibly nearer to the original spec. in that respect...Ian

photo 0163f943-14e5-4ce8-9cd7-a9ea215cf623_zpsaed64b43.jpg
 photo b30b1e9b-4908-421f-a8a1-bc3a5cf52341_zps05e6ca66.jpg

Hi Ian,
Here's a couple of photos of the washers that I have. These were bought from Russell's around 20 years ago, so they may be original. The rubbers that I got with them, now I know aren't correct. They supplied me with 3 thin ones.
The washer thickness, I haven't any mic's so I used a ruler, is 2mm's and the OD is 38mm's the same as the thin washer's that I have. Hope this helped.
Dave

email (option): jeepfinger@blueyonder.co.uk

Hi Dave..Thanks for that..Can you check the thickness again? My recollection is that the ones I had were thicker than 2mm (.080")...Though I could be wrong..

2mm (.080") is a standard sheet metal thickness...14 Gauge, so it's possible...

1/8" (.125"/3mm/10 Gauge) would also be a commonly used size....Ian

Ian, without a set of mics, the best I can come up with is 2mm. I might know someone with a set and give it another go.
Dave

Thanks Dave...Ian

Could someone also send in a picture of the front tank mount components also. Never seen the originals in the flesh. I'll make some on a lathe.

Hi Ian, I managed to get a thickness for you.  photo 20131231_120924_zps0a743124.jpg

Hi Douglas,
Here's a photo of the front tank mounting that I have for my M20. Consests of bolt, cup, sleeve and rubber washer. I think that Ian was on about getting some made.
 photo 20131231_182359_zps9508a0bd.jpg
Happy New Year to everbody
Dave

Thanks Dave...2.6mm is .1024" in proper measurements...

12 Gauge sheet is .104" thick...So I'm going with 12 Gauge unless anyone else tells me differently...Ian

As discussed previously. The cup goes on first, facing cup out.

Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Ian, your welcome
Ron, you do mean just as my assembled one in the photo is? That's how I had them when I had the bike on the road.
All the best
Dave

Bolt goes in from the opposite side Dave

Jo'b

email (option): Jonnyob1@googlemail.com

Clear as mud for me? I still don't get how the rubber is assembled and how it insulates against metal to metal. Can someone hold my hand and direct?

Doug it's a vague idea of insulation. The cup goes on first with the open face outwards then the rubber washer and then the metal top hat with the bolt. I guess BSA had decided that it will work ok. I suppose it will allow the tank to vibrate without transferring to the bolt. Ron

Thanks Ron and John, John still not spoke to Stewart Feeny since we spoke the other year
http://www.colinappleyard.com/company/history/
Did he look like this when you knew him?
Dave

Douglas, this is a home-brew version I knocked up. The top-hat is straight forward to turn up but the cup is a bit more of a fiddle to press out. The washer is from a standard tap washer with the centre enlarged.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

With the bits assembled (the bolt is the right thread but wrong head) - the protruding bit of the top-hat Ron described fits into the slot in the petrol tank.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

email (option): rays54@hotmail.com

douglas
Clear as mud for me? I still don't get how the rubber is assembled and how it insulates against metal to metal. Can someone hold my hand and direct?

The construction don't prevent metal to metal contact, think the idea is that the bolt can be locked up dead tight so that won't get loose it but still allows the tank to slide around the headstock to allow for heatexpansion (and probably keep it a bit more free from framestresses).

Regards, Michiel

email (option): m.wijbenga@hotmail.com

My friend John. Made me some cups by making a male and female die and using standard washers under his fly press. I must ask him if he's still got these dies. He never throws anything away but forgets where he puts things sometimes. Ron

I machined the cups from solid...and then found a handful of originals at a jumble!

I think the whole thing (including the rear mounting parts) does give the tank some protection from vibration, distortion and dimensional variations of the bosses on the steering head and the distance between the tank mounting lugs.

Post war B and M Series tanks and frames don't have these front mountings and the petrol tanks frequently develope leaks around the front mounting lugs. This rarely occurs on WD Models...Ian

Oh now I see The ones I have, the collar dosn't stick through as much as that. Nevermind, now I know how to install the correctly
Dave

I picked up some originals at kempton not so long ago, I bought them straightaway as I had lost them previously on the road and knew they are hard to find.

Strangely since I changed my front motor sprocket to a 20t the resonance I experienced at certain speeds no longer affects fasteners in the way it used to before - I have never had to replace a bolt or a cup since !!

Dave
I met Stuart at the Nec classic car & bike show in November completely by accident next to the Honda gold wing stand.

I was delighted to meet him, it had been a number of years - I thoroughly enjoyed my time dealing with him at Appleyards & our times working at the Yorkshire shows in Harrogate. He is retired now but nice to see his son now carrys the torch there - not many like him left in the modern trade these days !!

Glad your tank bolt issue is sorted

Best regards

Jo'b

email (option): Jonnyob1@googlemail.com

Thanks for the clear and concise description chaps. Off to the lathe.

Ian Wright
Post war B and M Series tanks and frames don't have these front mountings

G'day Ian,
I don't have any parts lists but Draganfly have these front mounting components listed for M series '38 to '63.
I have these cup and sleeve parts fitted to my m21 plunger, were these post war tank fittings just a bolt and washer?

email (option): spacemonkeym@gmail.com

Hi Matty...My mistake.. ..The front fittings were retained on the M Series bikes but not fitted to the B Series models...

My own (51) B33 has a leak in the tank in this spot at the moment and a spare tank I came across has had epoxy resin liberally applied..So that has failed as well...Ian

Dave
I met Stuart at the Nec classic car & bike show in November completely by accident next to the Honda gold wing stand.

I was delighted to meet him, it had been a number of years - I thoroughly enjoyed my time dealing with him at Appleyards & our times working at the Yorkshire shows in Harrogate. He is retired now but nice to see his son now carrys the torch there - not many like him left in the modern trade these days !!

Glad your tank bolt issue is sorted

Best regards

Jo'b[/quote]

I bet that was a nice experience for you John, he hasn't got hair like that in the photo, well neither have I
Dave

I drew these on Autocad. I can send you a file if you want, or make it into a jpeg. Cheers

email (option): britool51@hotmail.com

Nieuwe pagina 1