Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Brighton Speed Trials - ePetition

Here's a link to an ePetition aimed at persuading Brighton and Hove Council to keep the Brighton Speed Trials going.

http://present.brighton-hove.gov.uk/mgEPetitionDisplay.aspx?ID=410&RPID=11175561&HPID=11175561

Since 1905, racing has been going on along Madeira Drive. Apparently. there's an ongoing move to block it. A meeting/vote is scheduled for January 23rd 2014.

The threat to ban the event appears to have been prompted by the death of Charlotte Tagg who was killed in September 2012 when racing as a passenger on a Honda outfit. The 2013 Speed Trials was, as a result, cancelled.

There's a link here to Sump with more on that incident:

http://www.sumpmagazine.com/classicbikenews/news-may-2013.htm#brighton%20speed%20trials

email (option): dannydefazio@sumpmagazine.com

Re: Brighton Speed Trials - ePetition

Charlotte Taggs death is regrettable, as is anyones and it is unsurprising the event has been cancelled while the cause is being identified...

It is also unfortunate that the wheels of bureaucracy, at least, seem to turn at such a slow speed in resolving that question.

Should the cause be put down to track conditions and/or other safety issues then there is the question of whether Brighton and Hove Council is prepared to foot the bill for upgrades in the present financial climate to allow the event to continue...

There is also another question to be considered...Are 'modern' bikes too powerful/fast for this course and achieving speeds that make machine control difficult in those conditions?
It is interesting that the crash occurred after the finish line...Difficulty braking in the available space perhaps?

The VMCC Sprint section have recently (I'm told) cancelled further 'flying quarter' record attempts for exactly this reason as speeds are now well in excess of 200mph. Presumably, with that in mind, they perceive the potential risk of a serious accident....

I actually think an e petition is a bit premature, as the cause of the accident has yet to be defined...
Unfortunately though, it is probably needed in response to the overly hasty call for the event to be permanently cancelled...A call also being made without the full information to hand...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

I used to enjoy the Brighton Speed Trials but stopped attending that and the end of the Pioneer Run due to the attitude of Brighton Council and their parking regulations at a time when they were happy to rake in the profits from hundreds of motorcyclists.

A nasty little town basically only interested in pandering to the 'luvvies' and the politically correct polytechnic.

I used to compete for many years in the Brighton Speed Trials on a Triumph Bonneville, and it was always good fun! However we all know MOTOR RACING IS DANGEROUS and accidents do happen, one year at Brighton a good friend of mine Simon Law lost his life in a Brabham ex F1 car and also a biker not sure of his name who,s front wheel bearing seized at 150 plus died, but to see guys like Trevor Nation on the rotary Norton make a 160 mph run on the back wheel waving at the crowd is something else! long may it continue.

email (option): barryrapley@sky.com

Nieuwe pagina 1