Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Carb flame traps,

Has anybody tried these,I suspect they would interfere with the mixture in some way, Ebay Item 141136625729, would stop my DR mac being sucked in,And how about a horizontal float chamber How would that work.?(same seller) andrew.h

email (option): warbikes@gmail.com

Re: Carb flame traps,

In my experience you can never really tell what effect such changes to the airflow will make but they generally have some effect so be prepared to have to work on the carb if you fit one. I fitted a simple, fairly wide mesh, screen to my B31, to stop the sparrows nesting there, and the bike would not pull above 40mph. Took the mesh off and consigned it to the nearest ditch and performance returned.

Cheers
Pete

email (option): petercomley@web.de

Andrew the float is not horizontal. It's the carb. Like on this pre war Tiger 90.

Ron

photo Scan-131213-0002_zpsc5bfa184.jpg

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

When I first got my 16H on the road it caught fire twice with the standard open bell mouth. I had to put it out with my hand. So I fitted the later type which has 2 guaze filters held with a big circlip. This acts like a miners saftey lamp and keeps the flame contained, it also doesn't look out of place as it is an amal part.

photo 16H003_zps3aa58481.jpg

email (option): horror@blueyonder.co.uk

I also have this type of amal flame killer fitted to my WD/CO and works great.
These were originally fitted to the WD Enfield bikes, so these would be available in the war.

Cheers,

Leon

email (option): ljvbekkum@hotmail.com

Had one fitted to a 16H, and it ran way much much better without it!! Martyn Bratby is selling the right bellmouths now, so no reason to fit that??

Cheers,

Lex

email (option): welbike at same.net

The bike runs ok Lex, and I've got the propper bell mouth, but I'd rather have this one on and not be worried about the bike bursting into flames every time I start it. The oil tank is usually wet with petrol vapor when starting.

email (option): horror@blueyonder.co.uk

I understand how you feel, I've been riding around on my M20 for 44 years and it'd burst into flames exactly nil times.

Same here..28 years, well over 100,000 miles and no problems on my 'favourite' WDM20. 34 years with my B33.....and numerous other BSA singles in that time as well...no problems there either.... ...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

I have a Vokes filter on mine. Any kick back just gives me smoke round the knackers Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Ron Pier
I have a Vokes filter on mine. Any kick back just gives me smoke round the knackers Ron

I saw something similar with a mate of mine...but he lit a fart sitting on an upholstered chair...Oh how we laughed to see him beating the flames out !

I once lit a fart in the back seat of a Ford Capri while we were driving in the dark. The flame was so bright it cast shadows of the driver and front seat passenger on the roof, and I had yellow floaters in my vision afterwards. The driver was laughing so much he nearly crashed.

Are we drifting off topic now?

I once lit a fart in the back seat of a Ford Capri while we were driving in the dark. The flame was so bright it cast shadows of the driver and front seat passenger on the roof, and I had yellow floaters in my vision afterwards. The driver was laughing so much he nearly crashed.

Are we drifting off topic now?

Nieuwe pagina 1