Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
The trials and tribulation of re-spraying a bike !

As if the stress of using 2pack paint for the first time isn't enough.

and getting just the right shade of green

with just the right amount of sheen

I never took into account the fact that I am COLOUR BLIND !!!

Just you try spraying Olive Drab onto Red Oxide primer if you are red/green colour blind.

.... it makes for interesting results

email (option): ian@ian-richards.com

Re: The trials and tribulation of re-spraying a bike !

I used to work with an electrician who was colour blind! Very dangerous when you came along on a job after him and the earth was red and the live was purple!

Re: The trials and tribulations of re-spraying a bike !

I've done that before too

AND

I used to be a Design Technology teacher and had "great fun" with resistors !!!

Thank goodness for digital multi-meters.

Hi Ian
How much paint did you use for your top coats? I've been buying primer as and when I need it but want to get enough final colour mixed in one go so I dont get colour changes with different mixes.
Cheers
Doug W

email (option): watsond@xnet.co.nz

My mate and I had hoped to get both bikes sprayed in the day, but that didn't happen. We managed to get most of my bike done and some of Rick's, so all in all I reckon nearly one bike done.
We kept an accurate measure of what we used and in total that was 800ml for the two coats. We were very frugal and no paint was wasted or discarded, so to be on the safe side I reckon we would have used just over a 1000ml per bike, so I would allow 1500ml

Thanks Ian - I waste a lot of primer painting small parts!
Christmas wishes to all.
Doug W

email (option): watsond@xnet.co.nz

Hello Ian,
Any chance of letting us know what the paint code is?

It was dark olive drab that used to be for sale on eBay, but when I used it it was too dark, so I tinted it up with some yellow. I note that they don't offer the matt option any more. . It turned out to be very close to Jeeparts dark olive drab.

email (option): davmax@ntlworld.com

I put on a lot more paint than that (top coat). There are approx. 170 painted parts on an M20 and I'll use at least 3-4 litres painting everything...I put about 10 coats on the petrol tank alone!...

Also, you need to have some paint left over at the end for general 'touch up' jobs and the more serious jobs that may come up...

For example...I had a fair bit to respray after I went up the arse of a car on one of my bikes...and I needed some for a tank respray after a careless car driver knocked another one over during a clumsy parking attempt.. ....Ian

Thanks Ian, I'll make sure that when my mate finishes his bike I'll pay extra attention to the tank etc with what he leaves over.
Ian

You use a lot more paint spraying small parts as most of the paint misses the part. I used far too much paint doing my bike, the paint supplier asked my what millitary vehicle I was painting... I was a bit embarrassed when I said a bike

email (option): horror@blueyonder.co.uk

Nieuwe pagina 1