Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Spark plug problem

I went for a ride on the 16H last night as it was our local Norton Owners night. Bike started really well as usual but it was making a horrible clatter riding along. Oil indicator was up and the bike was going ok, I did wonder if the oil was getting where it should on a cold night, so I pulled into a garage and looked at the engine for any sign of the problem, only to see the ceramic part of the spark plug shooting up and down with the engine. I wondered why the compression was down and it was easy to kick over

After a pint with the lads I rode home and took the plug apart to find the seal under the ceramic part has disintergrated. Does anyone have any ideas what I can use as a replacement or is such a thing still available? Thanks

photo DSCN6899a_zpsc6924c2c.jpg

email (option): horror@blueyonder.co.uk

Re: Spark plug problem

Dave,you should be able to cross reference it at Tim Green's site....or ask him. Ron

http://www.gsparkplug.com/shop/

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

For a replacement I'd try the Green Spark Plug Company...Annealed copper I would have thought for a home made solution...Ian

That happened to me too!!! seems Nortons are shaking everything to bits!!

I just grabbed another plug, but a copper asbestos ring would work also???

Cheers,

Lex

email (option): welbike at same.net

Thanks for your replies people

For my G14 I made 18mm to 14mm adapters so it would take 'normal' plugs...Ian

I bought one the other day Ian, thought it might get me out of trouble one day. But I'd like to keep the original plug if possible as it works well even when it's falling apart

Is (was !) that ring internal, between insulator and body ? It's not something that I've ever detected on KLGs.

I think that you're going to have to find another 18mm Lodge of a similar period to cannibalise for parts. With a bit of luck you can find an odd grade that no-one wants.

Yes Rik, It was over the insulator and inside the top of the collar to form a seal. I'd noticed that I had soot up one side of the insulator and the compression was down before the plug came undone. A copper crush washer or something should fix it.

Nieuwe pagina 1