Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
3D printing

http://bangshift.com/blog/watch-a-large-scale-model-of-a-1927-miller-91-race-car-get-entirely-built-of-3d-printed-parts-truly-amazing.html

email (option): unpob@yahoo.com

Re: 3D printing

That is fantastic

email (option): horror@blueyonder.co.uk

Any ideas where we could use this technology?

Wow.. That is amazing!! What will they think of next?

email (option): ian@integsci.com

It's a shame they can't do it with metal

They can!

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/gadgets-and-tech/news/first-ever-metal-3d-printed-gun-manufactured-in-the-us-8932953.html

Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Oh wow, that is fantastic, they should be able to make anything soon. This is the new machine shop.

First thing to try: cylinder head, WITH all the fins...

email (option): viaconsu [at] planet'dot'nl

And then a Vincent Black Shadow engine for my next special Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Even making parts from plastic is very useful as you can use the plastic part as a pattern for casting things, you can even make it 1 -2% larger to allow for shrinkage in the mould!

email (option): davmax@ntlworld.com

Dave Plumb
Even making parts from plastic is very useful as you can use the plastic part as a pattern for casting things, you can even make it 1 -2% larger to allow for shrinkage in the mould!

Yes I keep toying with the idea and you can get reasonable ones for under $1000 US now, but haven't managed to justify the expense yet

email (option): tmuir12@gmail.com

There's a huge downside to 3D printing, so beware. When photocopiers were invented, forgery became easier as books and documents became simple to copy, and people lost their jobs.

The same thing is happening now with the world of knock-offs. Democratising manufacturing has its problems.

You guys who make parts for M20s might soon find that anyone can make the same thing (or very close to it) at home.

Of course there must be progress. But some of this is happening too fast for us to handle, and people are being put on the scrapheap. This is what the Luddites were concerned about, and they were both right, and wrong.

It's interesting that in a world of CAD design and high tech manufacturing that it's still wonderful to watch a blacksmith or a glass blower.

Things are generally valued not because they're easy to attain, but because they're hard to get.

email (option): dannydefazio@sumpmagazine.com

Hi Danny. Better put in words than I ever will. But I like things for what they are. For the quality once made. Were they ever to be easily available I would just get more as I do now. Scarcity is an added bonus but not the driving factor. My two cents anyway. BTW, bought a second 928 just to go against the norm and because the seller released it for 600$. As I fiddle with it, I consider myself lucky.

Nieuwe pagina 1