Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Any info on this bike ??

Was lucky to collect another WM20 project today, very close to where I live.

photo SAM_7396_zps6de7447d.jpg

It has a steel contractplate with: 294/23/S7128 with S7218 stamped above the first S number. Looked in the Orchard&Madden and found that S7218 is a very late contract with 5870 bikes from aug '44 to jan '46. But no clue about the other numbers.

It has framenumber WM20.117154 and have doubts if the serial number is original as these numbers are a little smaller than the 'WM20'. But there is no real sign of grinding, and it actually would fit within the contract...

photo SAM_7405_zps1b749e0f.jpg

Anyone of you with a close framenumber with these same difference in stampsize?

The fueltank is obviously postwar but I wonder from which type as it has the WM20 type fuelcap with the hinge at the back and a flat bottom. Maybe AA but I believe that fillercap is hinged to the side?

Finally, anyone of you who can read the numberplate? looked on the web but can't yet place this nice looking language, guess it is from somewhere close to Russia.

photo SAM_7402_zps96b4fd57.jpg

Thanks, Michiel / NL

email (option): m.wijbenga [ at ] hotmail.com

Re: Any info on this bike ??

Hi Michiel...One petrol tap or two in the tank?..I don't think it's an AA tank...They are listed up to 58 (the latest AA parts list I have) with a transfer...Then through to the end of production 'no changes' are listed each year for the M21. From 60-63 it was only supplied to the AA though it could still be purchased privately on a 'special order' basis...

It may have come from a Dutch army plunger M20...I believe they had this tank fitted. If it has two taps it will be a Government or 'fleet' user as the civvy tanks had one tap and a connecting pipe underneath at the front to connect the two halves of the tank....Ian

Two taps, Ian. Looks exactly like a standard WM20 tank to me, except for the round indents....Also looked for any modifications but no obvious ones....

Dutch army. Yes, it would be very plausible that the tank has been fitted here in the Netherlands after it was imported... Thanks! Michiel

Michiel,

That is Burmese writing!!! hope the bike isn't written off though?

A lot that came from there are absolutely clapped out!

Cheers,

Lex

email (option): welbike at same.net

It seems to have an absolutely clapped out engine

email (option): ahum@quicknet.nl

Hi Lex, Thanks for that, I now have translated it and it says: "don't buy me, I am clapped out"

I have a nose for worn out projects but luckily this one does not disappoint me, it is a complete bike including pannier frames etc. and the parts are generally in good shape. The engine and gearbox are dismantled but these parts are also mostly in good useable condition.

The frame, forks and wheels look fine, no signs of welding or rust. and the bike looks straight also.

Hi Henk, your opinion on the framenumber, please ??

Regards, Michiel

Nieuwe pagina 1