Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
A brief introduction and a first question

Aloha,

I am new to this forum, as I am fairly new to the BSA sidevalve singels. I have recently started a restoration of a 1947 M21 (no sidecar). I bought the bike in baskets and boxes (as is my habit when purchasing motorcycles) and it is fairly complete. The bike is originally a military police bike from Sri Lanka that was imported to Sweden sometime late 80:s early 90:s. So it got a bit of a history.

I have previously built a Triumph Bonneville (late 60:s model) and a Vespa 180 Super Sport. Really exited about this one since I've been wanting an M-model for many years and now finally going at it!

My first question is with regards to the (girder)fork bushings. Any hints on where I can find a new set? The once on the bike is completely worn out.

Although I've been reading here for a while this was my first post. The forum appeares to me to be full of knowledge and I'm guessing I'll be back again with more questions during the winter...

regards,

simon

Re: A brief introduction and a first question

Aloha Simon,welcome to the forum, Russell Motors of Battersea London have them
part number 66-5065 at £6.50 each,they are listing most fork parts so you should be ok.It is best to fax your enquiry or order as Les doesn't like computers.
Parts list and prices at
http://www.russellmotors.co.uk/Classic%20bikes/Downloads/files/bsa.pdf
hope this helps
cheers Rick

email (option): richardholt@rocketmail.com

You have a number of options depending on your skill, what you intend to do yourself and whether you have access to a lathe. Replacement bushes will have to be reemed after fitting and the link spigots are probably also worn.
One option is to reem the existing bushes in situ and then machine new spigots to suit. These can be brazed onto the links.

email (option): pvlietstra

Hello again,

Yeah I know of Russel motors and it seems to be a good place to buy parts. A fine gentleman indeed.
But for me it is a bit of a setback that he has no internetorder option. For one thing I do not have a fax machine and niether do anyone i know. Also payment might be a bit tricky for someone living outside GB?

I have spoken to one of Swedens two retailers in BSA parts and he did not have the bushings.

I do have access to a lathe and perhaps the skills as well. But I am not all that skilled and it will take me quite some time to get it done. I also have equipment for machining and brazing new spigots but I am not confident enough with my brazing skills to trust them not to break on a bumby road...

By the way; any tips on how to get the old bushings out?

/s

Simon
Have a look at the posts a few weeks back from myself and Dave Plumb about how he rebuilt my fork links.
If you can't get the job done in Sweden could you mail them to him to get them done?
I bought new bushes from Dragonfly, which hardly needed any reaming for a perfect fit with the links rebuilt to standard size.
I was very pleased with the out come of my job including the total cost. You will of course have to factor in the cost of tracked/insured postage both ways, but you will have a nice back to standard job when it's complete.

A way to get the bushes out is to screw a large (14MM) thread tap into the bushes until they start to bite, then drift them out from the other side with a rod.

I hope that makes sense to you.

Peter,

I'd seen that one since I've been lurking around here for a while before posting my first post. Looks like a well done job I must say! I have all the necessary equipment to do the job and I think I have skills enough to master it as well. But I think my spigots are kinda OK. Just the bushing that needs replacing. Going to double check them though.
I'd been thinking along the lines of a thread tap to get them out. That's how you get the drive side cam bushings out on a Triumph T120 so I'm familiar with the procedure.
Good to know exactly which tap to get!

And great tip about Draganfly! I'm waiting for reply from another place here in Sweden but if he can't find them I'll get them from Draganfly.
Prices for shipping is usually not that bad...

/s

Hello again,

Does anyone have any input on the subject of stearing damper? I have never had one on a bike and I am a bit curious as to what good it will do to a bike like this?
Apart from the obvious fact that it will give it the correct look and so on.

Also what are the solutions normally used when not mounting one? Just the bolt with a nut (or two for locking purposes?). Or can I just leave it all out?

regards,

simon

Aloha again,

Here's an update on my adventures with the fork bushings.
I bought a 14mm tap but the old bushings where so worn that i fell right trough. Next size of tap I could get a hold of is 16mm which of course was to large to fit. I had to first make the old bushings larger with a machine that I don't know the english word for but it looks like this:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bohuslan/11470779386/in/photostream/

After that it was easy as can be to remove them.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bohuslan/11470679805/in/photostream/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bohuslan/11470678485/in/photostream/
New bushings are going in soon.

Thanx for good advice on this one!

/simon

I'm no engineer Simon. But I think we would call that a 'Mill' or 'Milling machine' Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Nieuwe pagina 1