Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
e-petition to save a historic control tower in the UK

I've just created an e-petition in the UK, which goes to government to help save a very historic control tower that is due for probable demolition. if you are on face book please share the link with your mates. Only applied to UK Tax payer I think.

Please Sign…We have weeks for our opinions to be heard, thank you so much... e-petition "Save RAF North Witham Control Tower http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/57545

email (option): kit247@hotmail.com

Re: e-petition to save a historic control tower in the UK

Thanks for bringing this to our attention Kit, I'll certainly sign. I don't want to be negative, but these petitions rarely seem to change anything, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't try. If we don't at least voice our opinions, we can't complain about it later.

This is the derelict control tower of RAF Ibsley in the New Forest. I was there just last week. The runway is mostly lakes from gravel extraction and now turned over to wildlife. It is actually the most idyllic setting you could wish for. A group of volunteers have been given permission to save/renovate the building. Their intentions are good, but whether they can raise the time and money to do it will remain to be seen. Ron

photo RAFIbsley_zpsd9c79291.jpg

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

I've just had a look at North Witham on Google Earth, it seems surprisingly complete from the air. Most have had their runways and dispersals ploughed out by now. The old RAF Wigsley is just down the road from me, but the dilapidated control tower is about all that is left now.

Signed and posted on facebook....

Here are my local derelict control towers. Both are at RAF Ludham, the smaller one is the original with the larger built when the airfield was expanded.
 photo lastride2011026.jpg
 photo lastride2011010-1.jpg
The most annoying thing about it is the fact that both these were restored by volunteers(me included)and turned into a very good little museum. We also pursuaded Raymond Baxter to visit as he was stationed there. But wrangles with the local council and farmers forced it to close. The council then took back the land etc and left it to rot. We even had RAF Coltishall offer to look after it but to no evail. Just waiting for the farmer to hit it with a teleporter and finish it off now.
heers, Mick.

Did you see the program called "Escape to the country" that was on TV a few weeks back? They had a restored RAF control tower as the mystery house. I've found it on the internet and it's at old North Creake Airfield. It looks like it's been opened as a B&B now

http://controltowerstays.com/

https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Control-Tower-old-North-Creake-Airfield/285585778171932?ref=stream

email (option): horror@blueyonder.co.uk

I love these old RAF buildings, they really are the heart of the place, I'd have them all listed if I was in charge..

email (option): kit247@hotmail.com

15 years ago when I was a parish councillor in a village, we had a letter from the county council asking us to list any historic buildings particularly second world war that we might know because of local knowledge that may benifit from being listed in an effort to save them.
I knew of a transmitter station that was part of a chain. It was for transport pilots transporting new planes manufactured in the USA and Canada. Rather than each pilot having to navigate individually from the point of production to the UK, they would follow a chain of transmitter beacons. The first was in Newfoundland, then Greenland, then Ayr in Scotland, then Tadmarton, Oxfordshire, then Croyden, from where aircraft would be distributed to squadrons to replace losses.
I informed the county council that the Tadmarton transmitter was near where I lived, and must have played an important part in the resupply of aircraft during WW2 and was worthy of some preservation.
A few months ago I went to look for it with my daughter as I am sure I am the last person to know its exact location, but found that it was completely gone, knocked down and used as rubble, then its place ploughed into the surrounding fields. So another piece of our history gone forever.

We also have an airfield that during the war was Edgehill airfield. Frank Whittles jets were tested from there. Most of it has gone, but I know where where the bomb dumb was and have often walked around it. But better than that, I know where the officers mess is. There is still a door hanging in there which has got written on it "Mess waiters rest room. Do not disturb"
To me this represents a time when the officers were a class up and waited on by the mess waiter, but when he was in his rest room they had to respect his privacy.
I sometimes think of going over to lift this door and keep it safe to prevent becoming lost forever like the transmitter station. I can't decide if that would be theft and vandalism, or preservation.
What do you guys think?

15 years ago when I was a parish councillor in a village, we had a letter from the county council asking us to list any historic buildings particularly second world war that we might know because of local knowledge that may benifit from being listed in an effort to save them.
I knew of a transmitter station that was part of a chain. It was for transport pilots transporting new planes manufactured in the USA and Canada. Rather than each pilot having to navigate individually from the point of production to the UK, they would follow a chain of transmitter beacons. The first was in Newfoundland, then Greenland, then Ayr in Scotland, then Tadmarton, Oxfordshire, then Croyden, from where aircraft would be distributed to squadrons to replace losses.
I informed the county council that the Tadmarton transmitter was near where I lived, and must have played an important part in the resupply of aircraft during WW2 and was worthy of some preservation.
A few months ago I went to look for it with my daughter as I am sure I am the last person to know its exact location, but found that it was completely gone, knocked down and used as rubble, then its place ploughed into the surrounding fields. So another piece of our history gone forever.

We also have an airfield that during the war was Edgehill airfield. Frank Whittles jets were tested from there. Most of it has gone, but I know where where the bomb dumb was and have often walked around it. But better than that, I know where the officers mess is. There is still a door hanging in there which has got written on it "Mess waiters rest room. Do not disturb"
To me this represents a time when the officers were a class up and waited on by the mess waiter, but when he was in his rest room they had to respect his privacy.
I sometimes think of going over to lift this door and keep it safe to prevent becoming lost forever like the transmitter station. I can't decide if that would be theft and vandalism, or preservation.
What do you guys think?

My two penn'uth. Is there any kind of reputable museum in your area/region that might accept it if you did remove it? In a way it is better if it can be left in situ, if it is going to be allowed to survive, as it means something in context; but if there really is a danger or likelihood that it will rot or be used as firewood by vandals then it might be the proper thing to do to remove it. I think it is better if a public 'home' can be found for it rather than at your house as if it just goes in to your shed then no-one will see it and when you move house/shuffle on /whatever then it may just end up in skip anyhow. It is worth doing some 'homework' as to its destination as some museums will smile and say 'yes' and then junk it. It would be good if it found its way on to a preserved building and was put to new use there. I know of two 'air' museums here in Yorkshire that I would not trust with donated items. The large one particularly is worse than a vandal for how it treats donated items, some have been skipped and others I am led to believe allegedly ended up on ebay. The smaller one had a unique item of local history donated that has never been put on show or been seen again. This situation cannot be unique to these two establishments but that does not mean that every other one is as bad. Against that background I advise accordingly.

In that officers mess, which is now just a ramshackle dump occasionally used for agricultural storage were a row of coat hooks. I did have one of these away, painted it up and have it in my garage and hang my old flying jacket on it which I often wear while riding my 1944 WM20. I think that those Wellington pilots who flew from that airfield and hung their clothing on that hook might be happy that it is still being used in that way.

Agreed! Is the door the same size as your shed door? Do a swap :-) Like yourself, I do like the detail of what is painted on the door. Although in some ways a trivial detail it is what it stands for in the greater scheme of things. How many airmen read that sign?

Go and unscrew the door NOW! If you leave it there, one day it will be set on fire or stolen by someone who doesn't understand the history of it. It would be safe in your shed and if the building is ever restored or sold to someone who will look after it, just give the door back to them.

Kit

Please Sign…We have weeks for our opinions to be heard, thank you so much... e-petition "Save RAF North Witham Control Tower http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/57545

Petition signed and link forwarded to friends. Good luck!
Scorp.

email (option): wm20atscorpionvideo.net

Nieuwe pagina 1