Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Msg. for Steve M

Hi Steve,
I see there is no link to PM you so I will see if you pick up this message. On March 1, 2011, you mentioned about having a Wrights saddle. Wondering if you have any pics that you could post or send as I am arranging to have a cover made and would like it to be accurate.
Thanks,
Wade iron_ariel@yahoo.ca

Re: Msg. for Steve M

Wade, I chanced on a NOS Wrights canvas saddle last year and have sent a few detailed photos to the email address below.

email (option): rays54@hotmail.com

If you do a search, you will find some answers, also that they were not used on motorcycles!

Anyway here some pictures, that I've posted before:

Is this the same saddle as mentioned above??

Cheers,

Lex

email (option): welbike at same.net

Not original, I know But very comfortable in hot weather

email (option): viaconsu [at] planet'dot'nl

Thanks Lex,

Ray has sent several first class close ups that do the job nicely.

Can't say for sure what compels people to go against the grain or do things that others dare not but I believe that individuality is what makes the world an interesting place to play in.

If it is true that no WRIGHTS saddle was ever used on a motorcycle, it is a shame because it looks the part, is practical and in an historical sense must have least been considered by the creators of canvas grips as a logical extension of post rubber conservatism.

Enjoy Rexine or canvas, whatever strikes your fancy. All the best,

Wade

Why weren't canvas covers apparently used ? (They are canvas fabric rather than the webbing used for the grips). Concerns would have been how hard-wearing they were...Many period images of the motorcycles show the fuel tank paint worn away and I would think principally that decisions were based on conditions in NW Europe (where it rains, erm, quite a bit....) The canvas would take a long time to dry out after rain (not nice or healthy to sit on in woollen BD)and during the winter months, unless proofed with chemicals would probably rot too.

Rexine is in effect cotton canvas with a waterproof coating and presumably the linsead basis wasn't in short supply and was the most economical way of waterproofing and improving durability.

I'd have thought that canvas might have been suitable for the MEF but maybe once the weave was full of sand grains, it would not have been durable.

I don't think that anyone on here would presume to tell anyone else what they should do with their own motorcycle but this forum has become a historical reference point and does therefore have a certain duty to at least ensure that the historical record is passed on as acurately as possible. What individuals choose to do with that information is entirely up to them.

Wrights did incidentally also make rexine covers and saddles for motorcycles; They do seem though to have been the main contractors for these canvas tops.

I'm pretty sure Wrights saddles (Rexine) were fitted to M20s at the factory, one of three alternatives if my memory of the parts lists is correct...I'll have to check that now!

I think I should be allowed to use one of either the Rexine or canvas type.. ..Ian (Wright)

Ok, I respect anyones view, but was just stating the facts, thanks Rik, for pointing that out too, we rivet counters must stick together

Otherwise people in the future may think 40's bikes were all painted pink, with lots of chrome!

Cheers,

Lex

email (option): welbike at same.net

Most of those canvas seats are from small agricultral vehicles, from the early 1950's, I have somewhere a book with lots of pics of such stuff.

Nieuwe pagina 1