Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Petrol tap corks

Has anyone experimented with a different material than cork in the petrol taps? I drain my tank completely in the fall for interior storage and I have to replace these every spring as they dry out and leak. I'm wondering if there is an alternative to the cork.

Re: Petrol tap corks

Hi Sam,
Hans from Holland sent me some composite cork ones, I think they are neoprene reinforced? I haven't had the chance to install and test them for fuel durability yet but will let yuo know. In fact I think he sent me two sets, if you want to try a set I can pass them along to you.
Vince

always keep your corks wet I used to take my petrol taps off when laid up for the winter and keep them in a sealed jar of petrol never had any trouble with leaky corks

email (option): roger.beck@node6.com

I had the same issue, ended up replacing the taps with some that Joost sells, info@jvmotors.nl you'll need to have the adapters on the copper pipe re-solderd but they work a treat, dont shrink and dont leak, plus they look very close to the originals. His service is excellent too.

email (option): kit247@hotmail.com

Original cork seals can be used over and over again by boiling them in water for a few seconds. They will get their original size back quite a few times this way. Keeping them wet is the best way to keep them more or less leak free. Using modern material will keep them leak free for many years. My taps have these modern cork material seals and they have never leaked again.

Henk

email (option): ahum@quicknet.nl

Hi Henk

What material is used? I've seen post using plastic corks from wine bottles but also posts mentioning more exotic petrol hard materials that. Get used in O ring seals and the like. I'm going to be having a bash at some replacements at the weekend, so as my first effort shall I stick to real cork, plastic cork (both after the chore of emptying the wine....) or look for something fancy?

Richard

email (option): Dickie.bobbie@hotmail.co.uk

I have just renewed some petrol tap corks using the original corks, this was on a bike that had been laid up for quite some time and the corks had dried out, but when I recork taps I always make sure that they are greased also, before compressing, Roger has the one sure method, by keeping them constantly wet, in a jar when the bike is not used for some time.

Kind regards TTJohn

email (option): Jomichael@aol.com

Yes - I have very successfully tried the plastic wine bottle corks. Same procedure as with real cork to trim to size a slice off the cork and burn a central hole. Never dry out. Ferg

Hi Richard,

Some years ago I was given a piece of that material, not sure what it's called. It's 3 mm thick and I guess it's the same as Hans is using mentioned elsewhere.

Henk

email (option): ahum@quicknet.nl

Hmmmm, I have a bottle of wine in the fridge right now with one of those spongy plastic corks in it, maybe I'll give it a try, if not, I'll take the taps off and keep them soaked for the winter.

Here in the states, McMaster Carr has this material:

http://www.mcmaster.com/#cork-gasket-sheets/=phpbql

I have made up a set of washes using petrol resistant rubber. It's been working great no leaks.

Hi

I've replaced the washers in my leaking tap with normal wine bottle cork. The tap doesn't leak, but now I know to be extra gentle with the copper pipe, because I must have stressed the joints and have weap from T junction. Today my job is to fix that!

email (option): Dickie.bobbie@hotmail.co.uk

Nieuwe pagina 1