Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Off topic dithering....

I'm having real trouble deciding which way to go with my 1970 T120 Bonneville project...Though 'Standard' is definitely not an option I am interested in..

It's either going to be a period style Café Racer like the bikes I rode as a teenager or a modified version of the export TT Bonneville sold in the States...That's a 'stripped back' style of bike that in those days was used for desert racing....

My original idea was the TT model but now I'm having second thoughts...However, I either have to make a decision at this point or stop buying parts in until I do...

Any thoughts?....Ian

Re: Off topic dithering....

Had the same problem deciding what to do with my Triton that I've had for nearly 40 years.

Originally with rear-sets and clip-ons etc, it now a standard Dommie tank and seat and normal foot-pegs.

Not a styling decision, just my acceptance that my old bones would make riding a cafe-racer a torment rather than a pleasure!

I'd go for summat "comfy" otherwise I would probably never get to ride it.

Cheers
Pete

email (option): petercomley@web.de

you know why they are called café racer because you could only ride then to your local café before your wrists and back ached ride down the coast on them and you wouldn't straightened you back just before you were ready to go home and I am talking when we were teenagers

email (option): roger.beck@node6.com

Yes...A point worth considering...I'm not entirely sure whether I can still ride comfortably in the position that was required for me to fit my Rocket Gold Star back in the day... photo earlydays-1.jpg

Ian,

It all depends on what you're after. My original-spec GS Clubman is much like your RGS but the clip-ons are higher up on the fork and splayed out to allow a reasonable turning circle. I find it quite comfortable for 2-3 hour rides despite my 64 years and a bad spine. A friend with a bit more abdominal girth finds it impossible.

Improved suspension compliance would be appreciated here as US roads have gone to Hell!

Jeff

email (option): jjbandoo@aol.com

People seem to pay a lot more for a Bonneville than I think they are really worth. (My own opinion). I would try and swop it for a sporty single. Goldie, any Velocette, Comet… lots to choose from, probably also overpriced though.

email (option): pvlietstra@gmail.com

Off topic dithering....

This is my '64 T100 Cafe...

...but for comfort this is my prefered bike...

Scorp.

email (option): wm20@scorpionvideo.net

Is it a serious part of your intention and motivation to produce something very different to the run of the mill 100% pukka Bonneville. It sounds like it is. If so then my personal viewpoint is not to go the café racer direction purely because there are a lot of very nice café racer creations around at the moment, so it might not (only might not, given the quality engineering that no doubt will be part of your work)stand out particularly from a crowd of other quality café racers. Now the other suggestion holds a wealth of interesting possibilities to be very creative and different. Just my take on it. Follow the Force young Skywalker!

I think your right about the way to go..and also correct in defining my thinking on what I intend to build...I have a good budget for this project and intended to do something special with it...
So, decision made...It's going to be a TT Bonneville (ish) special...Ian ...

I think you've made a good choice there Ian. My second Bonneville was a 1968 (with that especially large bacon slicer on the front hub) that I bought in boxes. Eventually built it up as a TT replica with the TT pipes just slightly muffled. The only modification I made was to fit slightly lower bars... think I put on A10 bars. I've always especially liked the white tank with the orange stripe down the center!

Mark

email (option): wingco40@hotmail.com

Nieuwe pagina 1