Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Re: Brake shoe materials - on and off topic

Apologies if this has been covered, but I searched the forum and couldn't find exactly what I wanted.

So can anyone tell me who are the best suppliers in the UK for softer grade brake material? This isn't really for my M20. It's for my AJS Model 30. But I'd be interested in improving the M20 brakes if softer lining is the way to go.

Any suggestions/tips welcome.

email (option): dannydefazio@sumpmagazine.com

Danny. Since my local JMC went tits up, I had to find someone else for brake relines. An old classic motorcycle restorer friend gave me the details of this company.
http://www.saftek.co.uk/ (it's the Cleckheaton guys you need to speak to).
They just did the four shoes for my M20 special for £50, including post back to me, with about a 48 hour turn round. I was very impressed with the result and service. I'm sure they will advice about softer linings etc. Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

I live near Saftek and have used them for years, all my bikes have their shoes fitted, drop them off in the morning and pick them up at dinner time. They will fit soft linings and they work well but do wear quicker. What i have found is to have them fit oversize linnings, i then fit them to the backplate wire the springs so they are locked tight,this is after fitting a small shim between the shoes and cam. Then turn them to your drum size so they are a snug fit. After you remove the shims the shoes are then smaller than the drum, but when the brake is applied they are the exact shape of the drum. You never will have spongy brakes again and full contact of the shoes. This may seem long winded but why risk riding a bike with spongy brakes and waiting for the brakes to bed in.
Saftek have a shoe fitting service where if you send them your full wheel they will do the above for you, it's well worth it!

Tim Walker

email (option): t.j.walker@btinternet.com

Hi Ron and Tim, many thanks for that. That sorts it for me. Can't beat personal recommendation. I'll contact them soon.

email (option): dannydefazio@sumpmagazine.com

Hi Tim

I'm in the process of doing exactly what you suggest with turning down the linings on my brake shoes to fit the drum.
Do you have any recommendations regarding the type of cutting tool to use and cutting speed?

Cheers
Pete

email (option): petercomley@web.de

Hi Pete,

Turn a mandril with a big sholder and a tapped spigot the size of the hole in the back plate. Use a large washer and bolt the backplate to you mandril. Place some shim between the cam an shoes around 0.030" each side, wire springs so they cannot fling the shoes open. Sharp tool at the slowest speed you can. Just touch on by hand and rotate by hand, you will be surprised just how far they are out. than skim at the slowest speed.
It works i have done all my bikes, let us know how you get on.

Tim Walker

Hi Tim

Yep, got everything ready for turning already, I was just wondering about recommendations for actual speed. What is your lowest speed, mine is either 25rpm or 67rpm depending on which lathe, so there's a fair difference there. Also do you use a standard tool insert or have you any suggestings on what best form to grind a tool to?

Cheers
Pete

email (option): petercomley@web.de

A high speed steel tool ground to shape will carry a sharper edge than a tipped tool. I would think fairly acute angles for such a soft material..rather like those used for aluminium...

Although you may require a sharp tool (cutting edge), a pointed tool may tend to 'scratch' the material so I would break the edge at the point, or better still grind on a small radius at the point (or apply one by hand with an oilstone...)

That's what I would start with...it will be interesting to see if Tim agrees or has found another form that works well....Ian

Pete,

Will check the speed of my lathe in the morning. The speeds marked are not accurate on my old gap bed Berry as i change the 3 phase motor to a single phase 3HP and this motor runs faster then the original so my speeds are out. I have a speed gauge and will check it. ian is correct about the tool, the one i use is a high speed steel ground sharp with a small radius at the tip.
You may come across a problem as you get close to the backplate as some backplates have a lip and shoes fit under this lip, if this is the case you will have to remove the shoes and file this small part of the shoe by hand usually not more than a couple of MM wide. If you do this mark the shoes Drum side as if the shoes are identical they could fit on the backplate the other way round.

Tim W

Pete,

Just checked the spindle speed, the lathe still has the mandril fitted from last time i turned some shoes. They were 8" dia and the spindle speed reads 69RPM, so infact if you are turning 6" shoes you could go faster. Don't forget wire the springs well and light cuts so the tool does not dig in.
Nice to know how you get on.

Tim W

Nieuwe pagina 1