Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
to break or not..

i've had a project bike at the back of the workshop now for about 20 years, and i doubt i will ever finish it.
the bike is ? a KM23 silver star, 500 cc...but with a slightly earlier M22 engine .
its uk registered, but needs parts to complete, and some of the parts with it are repro...

so , the question is..do i break it and put every bit on fleebay, or am i better off selling it as a project ?

thoughts ?

email (option): chris.astinbarker at btinternet.com

Re: to break or not..

Hi Chris

I don't see a there can be a "moral" problem with breaking it if its been put together from parts.

As to which way you would get more for it, that could be a matter of luck.

Good luck with whatever you choose to do.

Rob

email (option): robmiller11(at)yahoo.co.uk

but isnt the same true of all our bikes ? unless one is lucky enough to obtain a matching frame/engine bike ?
the bike was a barn find yonks ago, i got it running and used it for a few years before laying it up for a re build...

seems a dilemma to me !

sell it as a project, the world is full of hopeful optimists, you get rid of it in one lump, a lump of cash with less hassle and no bits left over.

I wouldn't worry if it were a mismatch, most of my bikes are. I like to see the rivet counters tie themselves in knots. Sell as a project someone like me would have jumped at it, break it then you have to wait to see if the bits will sell, if not you end up with bits of scrap.

Plenty of people would like an M23 project.
Selling all the parts seperate also has the unfortunate side effect of giving ebay/PayPal a huge chunk of the money.. around 15% of the total, a huge amount more than selling as one project.

Seling on ebay is becoming more time consuming than its worth.
I have been buying selling on the bay for over 10 years, I now sell less and less as its more and more a pain to list.
I reckon from the initial photograph to delivering to the post office is around two hours per item.

adding the inflated postal charges into the total before calculating fees is a real piss take.

If there was a real alternative I'd use it.
sell your bike as a lump,it'll give someone years of pleasure looking for the other bits.
either that or it'll turn up at Kempton or Netly at three times your selling price

Gumtree is good if you know how much you want for your items. It's free to list and no fees after. I haven't sold bike parts on it, and everything has been cash on collection, but it's no difference than buying anything from an advert in a paper.

email (option): horror@blueyonder.co.uk

Hi Chris. If you decide to break it I might be interested in M22 engine. Is it HM or JM?

Kalle

sell it whole otherwise you end up with little bit that all you can do is chuck them away as someone said it a lot of faffing about people collecting parcelling thing up and a trip to post office

email (option): roger.beck@node6.com

sounds like a plan...fleebay the bike in one..

Nieuwe pagina 1