Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Fuel tank mounting construction

I am now facing the fuel tank restoration of the M20 project.

Due to leakage they removed the mounting brackets at the rear end . However I am now facing the exact height of these new brackets that are welded at the tank.
And is the bottom punched somewhat where the 5/16 bolts are located ?

another question : how is the tank mounted at the steering head ? I have only 2 mm space left between tank and steering head , is the 5/16 bolt mounted with a rubber sleeve in the part that is going through the tank ?

please enlighten me..

see pictures on http://tdvma.blogspot.nl/2013/11/bsa-m20-tank-en-zadel.html

in dutch however.

email (option): ruud.klaui@gmail.com

Re: Fuel tank mounting construction

Dear Ruud,

A look in the parts book would have solved the mystery for you. The front lugs are located on a cup, rubber and studded washer. The studded part of the washer has the correct width for the holes in the front tank mountings (provided that these are not worn). This washer sits in a cup with a rubber ring between the studded part and the cup. Part of the studded washer protrudes through the cup to go through the holes in the front mountings of the tank.

The rear strips should have been flat with a 5/16 CEI threaded hole. The rear bolts are narrowed at the thread part so you bolt them up tight without piercing the tank bottom. There is a large washer on the hexagon of the bolt, next a thick piece of rubber about 12-15mm and on top of the frame lug there is a thin rubber washer 2-3mm and then the rear tank mounting. When it is fitted correctly the tank should sit level on the bike.

Regards,
Leon

If you write me a PM I can also send you an explanation in Dutch.

email (option): leonhop3@planet.nl

Re: Fuel tank mounting construction

Hi Ruud,
See this drawing:
Tank mountings photo Tankmountings.jpg
Hope this helps,
Hans

email (option): viaconsu [at] planet'dot'nl

Nieuwe pagina 1