Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Exhaust pipe paint application ?

Having read various threads on "Exhaust Colour", can anyone advise on what paint system to apply?
My existing pipe is chrome, which I have abraded and did intend on priming it with an etching primer. Then it dawned on me that perhaps the primer is not high temperature resistant.
So a little advice from "those that have gone before" would be greatly appreciated.
TTFN
Ian

email (option): ian@ian-richards.com

Re: Exhaust pipe paint application ?

Ian, apart from Triumph 3HW's and as far as I can think, the factory finish for exhausts were dull chrome. (not an easy option these days). A silver/aluminium VHT paint from a rattle can will do the job and no primer needed. But of course it will usually burn off at the barrel end. However I have blasted bright chrome parts with Aluminium Oxide grit for a dull finish. Like my 16H here. I would prefer to buy a stainless system to blast, but no one makes one for a 16H

Ron
 photo 16H022_zpsbecf02ad.jpg

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

I had mine done with the hot metal spray 'Schoop'- system: aluminium/zinc is wire-fed and sprayed on a grit-blasted surface. VERY resistant to heat and rust, it seems that during the war this was also applied to some 16H. And after the war on the Dutch Army 1967 Triumph 3TA DR bikes

email (option): viaconsu [at] planet'dot'nl

Ron,

Not to be a scold, I would nevertheless point out that aluminum oxide blasting will aerosolize the chromium and pose a significant health risk. At the very least you should wear a microfilter mask and discard the AlOx after use, whether blasting in a cabinet or open air. Health risks include lung cancer, asthma, and bladder cancer.

In general, plated parts, particularly cadmium and chromium plate, are best stripped by immersion in a sulfuric acid bath. This will also remove rust. Nickel plate, which underlays chromium, requires de-plating or immersion in a speciality product such as Caswell or MetalX B9 stripper.

See for example: https://www.federalregister.gov/articles/2004/10/04/04-21488/occupational-exposure-to-hexavalent-chromium

Jeff Bandola, MD

email (option): jjbandoo@aol.com

An easy way to get the :dull" look is to use stainless steel saucepan cleaner.
Not only will it clean off all the gunk but if you leave it on for long enough will micro etch the surface leaving a nice dull look.

email (option): wariron@tpg.com.au

Good quality, high temperature silver spray paint for a barbecue did the trick for me. I bought unplated exhaust and silencers, keyed them up and sprayed them two years ago and they still look fine. Cheap and easy.

Show me the pictures...I find that hard to believe. How many miles have you covered in that 2 years?...and how many of those were in the rain...?

I tried everything before changing to stainless systems for my WD bikes and never found a paint that would stay on for more than a few weeks use in variable conditions, particularly so on salty, wet winter roads...Ian

To be honest, I actually painted the exhaust with black barbecue paint first, didn't like it and painted over that with the silver, so it is actually black over silver, but it's just standard off the shelf stuff and I've done over 1800 miles in sun, rain and snow. Sorry if it's unbelievable Ian, but it's true. I don't think it will out last your stainless system, but so far it seems to be OK. I don't have an account for up loading photos, or is it downloading? What's the difference? Anyway, if you really need proof I can send something to your e-mail?

No pictures needed really Bill... ...Can't say I ever managed it though... ....Ian

Maybe I just got a good batch of paint? It seems to have worked with mine, but I can see why you'd be sceptical.

I have said this before, but a lot of folk here seem hellbent on creating motorcycles as they never existed, even off the assembly lines. Each to their own, but for anyone contemplating the museum look, consider that mud, dings, rust and cannibalised parts are more faithfull to the past. IMHO.

['consider that mud, dings, rust and cannibalised parts are more faithful to the past. IMHO.']

At the risk of starting off the 'endless debate' again, show me one that came from the factory like that...

Oxford Dictionary...'Restoration'...'The process of returning **** to its original condition or state'.

The above definition isn't possible for various reasons...It is only possible, in the strictest sense, to create a 'representation' of the 'original state' via the process of restoration.

However, I think you must accept 'mud, dings, rust and cannibalised parts' aren't 'original' features either and don't represent 'the original state' in any way...

Most of my restorations were well beyond that point to start off with anyway and HAD to be restored but I don't claim any of them are original or even to original specification in every way......

It is a misuse of the definition and the language to call an old, worn bike 'original'...it plainly isn't as it was when it left the factory...

'Unrestored' would be the correct term....but neither a restored bike or a worn unrestored one are 'in the original state'..

Just walk into any motorcycle showroom or factory to prove that is the case...
Anyone who thinks their old battered bike is 'original' is deluding themselves just as much as someone who thinks their restored bike is, in my opinion..
I've found bikes go just as well in either condition so ultimately it makes little difference to me.. I just find the hypocrisy of it annoying... Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Yeh, I know its a hoary old chestnut and long may it be so as the World would be very boring if we all did things the same way. For myself,I much prefer too see a bike in "In Service" condition and ( to me) that admits of less than perfect cosmetic finish that can be allowed to mellow, whereupon modest streaks of oil and gathered dings and rusty bits ( within reason - not talking about neglect) provides at least in my eye something closer to the bikes we see in the smudgy old photos of the real thing. Now I am the first to admit that frankly, the sort of finish that Ian and Ron turn out is beyond my capability and patience but I do get a twinge of regret that maybe a few folk are turned away from the WD affliction by the thought that such high standards of finish must be the norm. Getting a bike basically "right" and reliable enough for regular runs is a good enough goal to have - ??

'Ex Factory' (for want of a better term.) bikes are still in the minority in the military scene I would say..though these standards are being applied more commonly as the bikes become more desirable to a greater number of people and accrue similar, or more, value than equivalent civvy models.

I restored my own M20 with all the dull chrome/cadmium and sprayed finish a long time ago and frankly, most of my friends thought I was mad to 'waste' all that money on 'an old army bike' at the time...

As regards accumulated wear and damage...?...I've done well over 100,000 miles on my M20 over nearly 30 years and including the initial rebuild its been through the full cycle of rebuild/patina/worn out two more times...In fact its currently undergoing the third rebuild at the moment...

It still has a very good set of original major parts but I don't claim it to be 'original'...Also, for the sake of durability I have happily altered the finishes and in some cases materials to make the bike more durable and extend the periods between rebuilds...and I make no apology for that as it is me that has to do them!...However, it still pretty much 'looks the part'...

As these bikes get towards 100 years old I think it's best to accept that they have to go through this 'cycle' if they are seriously used (as mine has been)...It doesn't matter how 'original' your bike is, if you use it, it will be in a constant state of change and periodically you will HAVE to rebuild it.....

'Patina' and 'original finish' are the preserve of people who won't use the bike enough to wear it out to the point of refurbishment..a 'luxury' I have never afforded myself as I have used old bikes as my main transport for the last 40 plus years...I'm sure the 'old boys' at BSA would have been very happy about that...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Hockley Enterprises in Southend still do proper dull chrome plating.
I have used them for years. 01702 614067 ask for Lee.
Cheers, Mick.

Hi Guys,

Interesting info from you for future reference but Ian mentions Stainless Steel systems.
Do these exist and where are they purchased from???

Regards,
Paul

email (option): eastwood007@ntlworld.com

Armours make them in bare steel, chrome or stainless. They also make the tipped up version to my specification. Mention my name (Military Ron) if you order anything.

http://www.armoursltd.co.uk/Armours/Home/Home.html

Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Nieuwe pagina 1