Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Age related registration number ?

I have finally been able to get the V5C for my recently purchased 1945 16H.

When I bought the bike, the dealer failed to inform me that DVLA had been notified that the bike had been permanently exported, so when the V5C was applied for in my name ... it was refused.

I then went through the re-registration process (quite easy really) and requested that they did not just re-issue the old number with an "A" suffix, but instead issue the bike with one that truly reflected its age.
However, no luck on this account, the V5C arrived this morning with the old "A" suffix registration.

I heard from a friend that you can apply direct to DVLA for a "change" of number to one that reflects the age rather than buying one, but I'm not sure that this is correct.

It's not a vanity thing, I just dislike the "A" suffix number.

I'm not too happy about spending money on a plate, but .... or shall I just live with it?

Any pointers greatly appreciated.

email (option): ian@ian-richards.com

Re: Age related registration number ?

Hi Ian,is the prefix at the end of the plate ie ABC 123 A (1963)or A 123 ABC (1984)?If you are stuck with it you could always try for NOR 16 H.I bought a personalised plate for my car R V 11OLT but now i will have to wait until i can afford an 11 plate car to put it on,the rule is you cant make the vehicle appear younger than it is.Hope you get fixed up
cheers Rick

email (option): richardholt@rocketmail.com

It's a suffix ABC 123A so it appears to be 1963.
The only reasonably priced dateless plates (if there is such a thing) seem to be Irish ones, but somehow that doesn't seem to be much of an improvement.

Does it really matter? a 1945 Norton wouldn't have had a number plate so its not right whatever it says.

Rob

email (option): robmiller11(at)yahoo.co.uk

Ian, I think if you get a dating letter from the club based on the frame number and then re-apply to the DVLA you will manage to persuade them to give you a proper age related number.cheers John

There was a period (in the 1970s I think) when an 'A' suffix plate was issued if the original number was sold. They then went over to the age-related system.

If the plate was issued on this basis then it doesn't seem to me to belong but if the bike has had it since 'demob' then I'd take the view that it was part of the bike's history. A 1962 plate would seem late for a 16H though as the last ones seem to have been struck off around 1957 or so but it could have been with a dealer for a few years.

What are the letters ? It is possible to check if it was an original 1962 series.

Whatever, you're in a much more fortunate position than those of us in Belgium as we have to have reflective yellow plates regardless of age (and will shortly be compelled to change them for a new style red and white reflective that is too large to fit on the Norton bracket).

The original number on my Enfield WD/L had been sold some years ago and was then issued with a 1963 'A' plate. I contacted DVLA who agreed with me that I couldn't put a 1963 plate on a 1940 bike and as the bike was registerd as 1940, they issued me an age related plate without too much aggro. However I have noticed that DVLA staff all seem to interpret the rules differently. Ron
 photo WDL006_zpsd0ea19c1.jpg
 photo WDL158_zps72cd51fb.jpg

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

I'm pretty sure that the "A" suffix plate was a replacement for a registration that had been sold.

The V5C states that the bike was first registered in 1949, which I assume is when it was demobbed.

I will request a Dating Certificate and supporting letter from the Norton Owners Club tomorrow and then see how I get on.

Ian

Good point !
I always thought that you cannot have a registration plate that implies that the vehicle is younger than it really is.
I'll give them a call tomorrow and clarify this.
If I get "negative" response, I call again and talk to someone else.

First obstacle is to press the right sequence of numbers on their automated answering system.

Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

HaHa !!!

I have the name and telephone number of the lady who dealt with my V5C application. When I rang DVLA last week I got straight through to her.

Wish me luck !

Now here's a result (hopefully)

I have just spoken to a "lovely lady" at DVLA Swansea who said " ... send me (marked for The Attention Of XXX) the relevant information, supporting letter and dating certificate from the NOC and we will do our best to issue you with a appropriate number, it may not be the original number, but it will reflect the age of the vehicle."

Fingers crossed

I wanted to get a 3 number 3 letter plate for my 05 Harley an idea I have is to transfer the number off my 1952 B31 to the Harley and then apply for an age related plate for the B31 as I think I could save money this way I did email mike Worthington Williams from old bike mart some months ago but never got a reply

email (option): roger.beck@node6.com

Roger as far as I can make out if you transfer your B31 plate to your Harley then they will issue a age related number automatically for your B31.I have transferred a old plate to a retension certificate before and DVLA automatically gave me a replacement age related number so should work if you transfer it to another vehicle.

Nieuwe pagina 1