Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Thorspark

Hello all
Has anyone have any knowledge of this Thorapark Electronic ignition conversion on fleabay 151148524313
It states it replaces the magneto entirely.

email (option): Darrenacartwright@yahoo.com.au

Re: Thorspark

why not get your mag sorted ?

this relies on a battery and coil 6v 0r 12v as aopposed to a well sorted magneto which is independant of a dodgy 30watt dynamo?

Yah mate it is an electronic conversion of sorts in that it utilises the magneto body but the contact breaker points are replaced with an electronic switch / trigger. Naturally you will need a coil and battery etc.

So effectively with a coil it works independently of the magneto?
My understanding of magnetos is that they are unreliable in the heat, it gets over 40C here.
Also it costs approximately $700 to refurbish one here, I have 4 bikes all needing the magnetos refurbished
This a more economical and reliable option, or am I wrong

email (option): Darrenacartwright@yahoo.com.au

You a cannot beat a good magneto,independant spark machine.

Generally its the condenser that fails

Have a word with these people

http://brightsparkmagnetos.com/easycap/index.htm

their solution is light to post,,needs a bit of mechanical ability to fit but they'll guide you through it.

while you sorting the rest of the mag beware of pattern carbon brushes, they'll be too soft or worse too hard.

You are better off[in my opinion] making your own out of new old stock brushes from any kind of old electrical motor.

messy needs patience but time better used than watching TV. carbon is easy to whittle.

I cannot speak for reliabilty in 40 degrees, we are lucky if it gets over 20 here, but they all seeemed to have worked ok in the desert, or India, or even Oz in the past.

I think people are often too quick to write off the magneto and seek a replacement.

However, there are cost implications for Darren if he is unable to do refurbishment work himself...There is also more to a magneto than just a condenser after all. Remagnetising of the magnets is frequently a requirement for example, windings need to be tested and possibly rewound,there are special tools to remove bearings etc. etc. and ready access to spare parts such as slip rings, bearings, insulating washers etc. may well be required....

Personally I wouldn't consider replacing my magneto with an electronic system at the moment, but if I were to I would not select one that relies on an external power source. In the case of a Magdyno equipped single that ties the ignition to the dynamo/regulator system...the part of the system which in my experience is the least dependable. Not only that, if you have a short or inadvertently leave the lights on..or perhaps if you use the bike infrequently, the resulting flat (or low voltage) battery means no sparks..

Systems are now coming onto the market that are 'self generating' and it is one of those that I would seek out to retain the independent function of the ignition...

One other important advantage of an electronic system not yet mentioned is the introduction of an accurately and constantly functioning adv/retard curve..Something that is non existent when using a Magdyno mag....Ian

I spent a small fourtune havin my mag rebuilt it was still trouble when I got it back so I fitted a thorsprk over a year ago it's never let me down and my battery has Easley kept up with it it's a brill solution

Nieuwe pagina 1