Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Ball race removal gearbox

I have been trying to remove the ball race bearings from the gearbox. I have used heat, wd40 and hammer and block to tap it out no success. If keep trying to tap it out I will break something. Any ideas welcome.

Re: Ball race removal gearbox

I read somewhere on the forum that to remove race bearings from the steer stock it is possible to put a bead of weld around the inside of the bearing wait and the bearing will fall out. Is this possible for gearbox race bearings?

Only if you destroy the cage and inner race to expose the outer. I wouldn't risk it because of splatter.Are you heating it up enough. Sizzling spit is what you're after.

Send her off to M&S for a couple hours. Open all windows and doors a stick it in the oven till you need heavy welding gloves to hold it. The bearings will quite often just fall out. Then tell her that your annoying neighbour has had a smelly bonfire all morning! Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

I agree with Ron, the easiest way is to use the oven. If you want to reduce the smell of hot oil and crud I find a trip through the dishwasher beforehand does wonders (only if you are going to chuck the bearing afterwards).
Cheers
Pete

email (option): petercomley@web.de

Thanks for the suggestions, but I think I will have to sleep in the shed if I try the oven trick. I ended up getting an idea on YouTube, and found out how to make a home made bearing pusher out of sockets and a large bolt and a piece of steel. Still it took some pressure to get the bearings out, but it did work.

Ron Pier
Send her off to M&S for a couple hours. Open all windows and doors a stick it in the oven till you need heavy welding gloves to hold it. The bearings will quite often just fall out. Then tell her that your annoying neighbour has had a smelly bonfire all morning! Ron

You just need to get yourself a good BBQ.
Being a good Australian I've got myself a good sized one with a lid on it.

I did get some funny looks from my wife when I told her I was going to BBQ my C15's engine.
It worked a treat, the bearings just dropped out made a lot of smoke but as it was outdoors it was all ok.
I did bend up some sheet metal to sit on my hotplate to catch all the oil drips that came out so I dont even have to worry about my next steak tasting a bit oily.

email (option): tmuir12@gmail.com

Nieuwe pagina 1