Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Reamer not reaming

I'm trying to ream to size the two-part mainshaft pinion sleeve bushes 15-4165 with an adjustable reamer. A new one, hardly ever used. But it kind of seizes, even when I put some cutting oil on it, and with minimum increments.
Am I doing something wrong, or are the bushes of some special metal that requires a special method

email (option): viaconsu [at] planet'dot'nl

Re: Reamer not reaming

Hi Hans,This will sound daft but maybe your reamer is too sharp.you know when you turn brass or bronze in your lathe,you need a flat tool ,IE no top rake,this is why your reamer is grabbing the metal.I dont want to suggest the remedy as you may ruin your reamer.
cheers Rick

email (option): richardholt@rocketmail.com

Hi Hans..I put the various gears in the lathe and bore the bushes to finished size...
However, I do ream small end bushes to size in place if I'm doing a top end without the engine being apart when fitting...And sometimes the gearbox case bushes also need reaming a little after fitting...You should be able to hand ream these gearbox bushes also...

Personally, I get the best results with a sharp reamer...Check that your reamer is really sharp by examining the edge of the blades with a magnifying glass...you will soon spot any worn sections.
Also you must take very small cuts and take care to keep the reamer square to the bore...If you 'tilt' it you will lock it up...I use a socket T Bar and a piece I made with a square hole to fit the reamer shank...You can use a socket if you pick one that is a snug fit and tap it on...a bit of a bodge but it works...Ian

Hi Hans. Have you tried inserting reamer in lathe drill chuck and hand rotate 3 jaws chuck holding part? I am able to manually rotate lathe through my overhead line shaft set up.

Nieuwe pagina 1