Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Bsa KM20 1939 Speedometer

I am looking for a speedometer for my KM20 but can t find any good picture of the model i need .

I don t know if the speedometer should be like a civilian prewar or like a 1940 wm

I have found one with a yellow line on it but don t know if it s the good model .

If anybody can help it would be great !

THX

email (option): autoetmoto@hotmail.com

Re: Bsa KM20 1939 Speedometer

I would expect a Jaeger drive type with steel dial and yellow line...As to the type, is your KM20 British WD, Overseas military, or civilian ? This will all have a bearing on the type of instrument fitted.

Pre-war civilian would be illuminated for most markets and probably have a trip.

Hi Rik , It s a military one from France .

Here is a pic of the speedometer i found .

Hébergement photos

Marcus
Hi Rik , It s a military one from France .

Here is a pic of the speedometer i found .

Hébergement photos

Marcus, My apologies for not making the link between you and your M20.

The correct speedo for a 1939 WD contract M20 is the 80mph non-illuminated / non-trip type, with the yellow 30mph marker.

It should have the Jaeger type cable connection (where the inner cable is retained by a small grub screw rather than a screw-on outer cable).

This 1939 example attached to Norton bracket was acquired by Jan in Northern France. I can't see if yours has the 'Made in England' and 'Eng(lish) Jaeger Patent' lettering. Apart from that, the only obvious difference is the bright chromed rather than dull chromed WD bezel.

photo JaegerJanfrt_zps15315389.jpg

You might wait for years for the exact speedo. Yours is good enough.

No problem Rik i did not post a message for a long time :)

I don t have the speedo , only found this one for sale .

I was wondering if it was the good one to buy , it s 200 /250e .

I think it s too shiny for mine , should put a used one .

Very few (if any) traders are now selling Chronometrics outright and the going rate for a restored exchange example is around £120. Restorable donor instruments seem to be worth up to £100.

If this one is working and just needs a clean then the lower end of your price range is not too bad but if it needs restoration then it will be expensive. Dull chromed bezels are not available (but the chrome comes off easily enough) and dials can be swapped over.

If you're looking for authenticity then you do need the Jaeger drive so that you can use the thick cable.

Hi Rik, I once foolishly and by accident broke the glass on my speedo and found out that the glass from my tax disc holder was a perfect fit. BYE .

email (option): crannys@gmail.com

Authenticity is my nindo :)

You have seen my bike , i can t do what i want .

As i said i am french so all the stuff with drive cables ... i am lost

The speedometer has been for sale for a while so i might be able to negociate .

I don t have pics of the back but couldn t it have the good system ?

Marcus,

Since it has the right face, it is quite likely to be the right speedo drive on the bottom. There should be a sindple protruding from the bottom (no screw thread). The inner cable has a sleeve that fits over the spindle and which is locked in place by a small screw. The outcable has a sleeve as well that covers the spindle drive in the speedo and has clips which fixes it to the speedo head.

Regards,
Leon

email (option): leonhop3@planet.nl

Here is the Jaeger spigot cable fitting that Leon speaks of. When I had this speedo overhauled by David Wood for my Enfield WD/L (he had to also reverse the rotation) I got him to loosely fit a bright chrome bezel which I then lightly grit blasted to make it dull. Ron

photo WDL184_zps2a42cc16.jpg
 photo WDL157_zps3fc8cc13.jpg

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

If I made that many typos in my work as I did in the post above I would be fired on the spot...

email (option): leonhop3@planet.nl

Yep! Get out of the office Leon! And never darken our doorstep again

Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Here are pics of the speedo , as you can see there is a yellow line but it seems that the words have been erased .

Is the system at the back the original i need ?

I think that it s not cause there is a light Inside

Hébergement photos

Hébergement photos

Hébergement photos

That isn't the correct cable drive system for your WDM20 - it has a later movement. WD contract bikes didn't have illumination (but it's easy enough to block the hole). Civilians paid extra for a trip function so some have them and others not.

I would see this one only in terms of a donor instrument for reconditioning if you're looking for accuracy...and it seems too expensive for use as an exchange item.

Nieuwe pagina 1