Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
steering head bearings

As a birth day present I was given a set of steering head bearings for my m 20 .
The sealed ball bearing type. No fitting instructions though .
I think the original bearing cups in the steering head need to come out and that there is a special tool for removing these cups . Is there a description & drawing of this tool so I can make it ? If not is there an alternative way to get the cups out ?

When fitting the sealed ball bearings should there be a spacer between the upper and the lower one , if so what length ?

Many thanks in advance. Maxim Jurgens
Phuket, Thailand

email (option): siamsailing@gmail.com

Re: steering head bearings

Robb at British tools makes one. He is in the posts previously. Should be coming up if you do a search.

I have some of Robbs tools to distribute to UK and Continent. Alternatively you can mig weld a bar across the cups to drift them out. Email me if you want a tool. Ron

photo Scan-130826-0002_zps728ad126.jpg

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Hi Maxim,

If you ( or a friend) can weld, there is a much easier way.

Put a line of weld, all around the inside of the race that is stuck in the headstock.
Try and do it in one weld to be as quick as possible.

Then, go and make a brew.
Enjoy brew in the knowledge that when you return, the weld will have shrunk and taken the bearings with it, thus they almost fall out.
Happy Days

Sounds too simple, but it really works !

email (option): dwrudd@lineone.net

I seem to recall that a cup from a bicycle bottom bracket is the same screw thread and can be used as a substitute for the factory tool

Nieuwe pagina 1