Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Front fender (stud) mounting WM20

Hi ,

to finish the restoration of a BSA WM20 in time for Normandie next year I took over the activities of my motor friend Pat.
Project was bought 10 years ago. It seems to be a "collection" of parts and amateur restoration actions. So plenty of work to be done.

I spend the past week in cleaning,straightening and welding/soldering the fenders.

The question I have how the front fender in the middle is mounted against the fork stud.

I see two possibilities:

1 Fender direct to the stud of the fork bij menans of a bolt. in this way the clearance between the tire an fender is quite big ( one can see through fender and tire )so that mud and sand can move freely. I believe this is according to military use and specification. disadvantage is that it doesn't look so nice.

2 a extra hexagon stud (14mm dia) of approx 1 cm long is placed between fork stud and fender.I see a lot of military M20 with this solution. To me it appears that it is wrong mounted. However the "filling" of tire in the fender looks better than option 1.

so can any body tell me the right /original mounting method ?

at the moment I spend two days is getting option 2 with extending the rear bracket etc . but this morning I decided that option 1 would be the original /better option

for projcet details see in dutch (sorry)
http://tdvma.blogspot.nl/2013/10/bsa-m20-winterproject.html

thanks in advance

Ruud

email (option): ruud.klaui@gmail.com

Re: Front fender (stud) mounting WM20

Hi Ruud,

There are two types of forks, the very early ones are a bit shorter. When they increased the length the hexagon spacer was added to compensate. see this thread:

http://pub37.bravenet.com/forum/static/show.php?usernum=3155626639&frmid=16&msgid=1117211&cmd=show

I measure the distance from the edge of the mudguard to the frontwheel spindle on various points and on both sides and try to get that as constant as possible by adding or removing spacers so that the mudguard follows the tyre nicely.

Good luck, Michiel

Some type BSA have 20 inch front weels than you need the space. I think so. Gr.Theo

email (option): oldbikes@kpnmail.nl

The difference in length of the two types of forks in 1/2" When you have the long forks you need a spacer of 1/2" to compensate this.

It's really hard to get you mudguard fitted without the spacer if you have the longer type of forks.

Henk

email (option): ahum@quicknet.nl

thanks for the updates, it is clear for me. I have a long fork and the hexagon stud seems to be BSA factory standard...

email (option): ruud.klaui@gmail.com

My bike has this spacer and I always thought it was wrong compared with other bikes I have looked at. What I've just read makes perfect sense .

Stuart

email (option): stu.gibbins@btinternet.com

Rudd, here is a photo of a well-used (abused) original.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

email (option): rays54@hotmail.com

Nieuwe pagina 1