Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Is my primary chain too tight?

I installed a new primary chain on the M20 and adjusted for 1/2 inch play. Measured it by wiggiling in the middle up and down and measuring the play. However could someone check and tell me if you still think this is too tight for a new chain? Thanks
https://plus.google.com/107865850038257605168/posts/VzJknQxJsWM

email (option): jeff.robbins75@gmail.com

Re: Is my primary chain too tight?

here is a better view of the primary chain being tested please please let me know. Thanks

https://plus.google.com/107865850038257605168/posts/KLmcxnMtDnN

email (option): jeff.robbins75@gmail.com

Jeff the trouble is that these chains never seem to have an even format. Usually when you turn the engine (or rear wheel) you will find a tight spot and a slack spot. Adjust your chain so that it has about that amount of movement at the tight spot. Make sure your gearbox is dead tight with those heavy washers on the fixing bolts as the drag from the wheel can pull it back. Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

That looks too tight to me Jeff, if you have to force it to get 1/2 inch it's not slack enough. I'd rather had it a bit slack than too tight.

email (option): horror@blueyonder.co.uk

In addition to those other great suggestions...

I went through this recently, and my frame bolts had loosened up and it was allowing the rear wheel to move relative to the rest of the bike. This was causing the primary to go tight due to the pull. Also, make sure your rear wheel is straight. That probably helped pull the wheel back on mine.

Hope that helps.

Kevin

thank you for all of the help i will another 1/4 inch to the slack :)

email (option): jeff@infinitymedspa.com

The rear chain exerts 2-3 times the torque the primary does so after any adjustment it is always wise to recheck as the primary will "settle". However as long as the primary isn't over tight at it's tightest point it will wonderful reliable service.

Nieuwe pagina 1