Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
G3L timing

I am currently very frustrated at my failure to start my G3L. I have rebuilt the top end and it will not start. I have followed the timing instructions in the book. I am correct in saying when the timing is set ( with the fag paper ) that the points block should be at "just past the 6 o clock position? " Its failing to start but firing for one or two beats if I open the throttle slightly and this seems to be in the carb !

Re: G3L timing

Graeme,

You're probably timing it on the wrong stroke, take tappet cover off, and check you're on the compression stroke, so no movement off push rods when just before/on/after T.D.C.

Cheers,

Lex

ps, much easier to time when the head is off!!

email (option): welbike at welbike.net

Graeme, take the tappet cover off and turn the engine over. See the exhaust vale open and then close and then the inlet valve valve open and then close. Then feel for the piston coming up the bore and it will then be on TDC on the compression stroke. Also make sure that you have the mag lever set at fully advanced. Cheers John

email (option): tinley@btinternet.com

find the compression stroke, put a thin rod down the plug hole and get the piston to TDC, bring the piston back 3/8. its normally easier to use a fag paper on the points, put it between the points and turn em until the paper is just about to release, then tighteb the mag sprocket with out it all moveing.
remember to set the mag in full advance

email (option): mrsbfuller@hotmail.co.uk

Are you sure that you've used the correct markings when setting up the cam timing? There were a couple of different markings, but you can check it just by using a rod down through the spark plug hole and make sure that when the piston is on TDC that both valves are closed, and so on for the induction stroke etc. also make sure that you have timed it BTDC and not after TDC which is another common error.

email (option): davmax@ntlworld.com

OK Thanks for the help I will give it a go this afternoon.

Ahhhh success ! Thankyou fellahs it now works and put a smile on my face.

Nieuwe pagina 1