Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
leather jerkins

watching a D day documentary there was a platoon of soldiers walking along a road they were all kitted out the same with rifles wearing the leather jerkins were the jerkins only issued to motorcyclists or were they on general issue

email (option): roger.beck@node6.com

Re: leather jerkins

They weren't specifically a motorcycle item and were issued originally to troops who needed them and then handed in afterwards. In the winter of 1939/40, that seems to have been mainly troops on front line guard duty.

They became more common as the war progressed for any troops in cold conditions who needed greater freedom of movement than was allowed by a greatcoat.

email (option): 79x100@gmail.com

talking of greatcoats there was a fashion if you can say that in a unit I was in in the 60s of sewing a leather jerkin onto a greatcoat and cutting down the greatcoat to the length of the jerkin looked rather good

Leather jerkins were quite widely used I think, MT drivers, RAF Ground crew, REME all used them as well as troops and DR's

email (option): Kit247@hotmail.com

So did our Coalman and Dustmen in the 60's. Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Leather jerkins

When I was a nipper my pal next door's Father was a nurseryman, and he wore his Eigth Army beret, carried his lunch in his gasmask bag and wore his leather jerkin until he retired in the mid sixties.
It is to my eternal shame that, when offered his old motorbike and, fruit carrying, wooden sidecar in 1964 (for £40), I turned it down, because I was more interested in Triumphs - it was a Vincent!! Oh foolish, foolish, youth!
Scorp.

email (option): wm20@scorpionvideo.net

Re: Leather jerkins

I think we all have a story or two like that which just serves to illustrate how much values and priorities have changed...

There was the Scott Flying Squirrel I was given and gave away again because I didn't like 2 strokes and needed the space in my garage..and the BSA Y13 that was also a freebie, which I got running, rode briefly and then swapped for a Royal Enfield Constellation engine I needed...

I could go on...

Some crystal balls, more space and some spare cash would have been handy at the time...but I didn't have any of them...(still don't) ...Ian

not that I was offered it but a milkman a few houses from me had a brough superior and side car it was in a rough state I remember

Was that George and Mildred Roger? Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Nieuwe pagina 1